Chapter 17

Cora

"Look, Adam, this has been wonderful. It always is when we are together." I can feel my smile fading.

Sooner or later, we have to get the this goddamn cat out of this goddamn bag. I think I deserve at least an answer.

"But?" Adam's voice is low, he's looking outside of the window.

Blonde waiter comes with our drinks. Adam coughs.

"I think you should tell me what's really going on. Because I know that you like me, it is obvious."

"Cora, it will be difficult for you to understand." He sighs.

"At least let me try. Give me something! Anything! Otherwise you left me feeling like one of your one night stands."

"Cora, I have never met anyone like you in my life." He slightly touches my palm that is resting on the table.

"And believe me, I want to do better, to be better for you, but there are still so many things I need to deal with before I can even start thinking of making a relationship work."

"So you are breaking up with me? Again?" I chuckle, but I am not smiling.

"I just.." His phone starts ringing.

"Speaking of the things I need to deal with." He  groans once he checks who is calling.

"Sorry, I have to take this." He squeezes my hand a little and starts to get up, but I stop him.

"No, just talk here, it's okay."

I want him to think that he can include me in his life, but most importantly he is so full of secrets that it would be nice for me to know at least one of them.

"Shouldn't be long." He assures and puts his phone to his ear.

Immediately I can hear a woman screaming on the phone. Adam's face darkens.

"Mom, calm down!" He quietly says and my heart sinks.

"No, mom, Luke is gone. You need to go back to sleep."

But the women does not stop yelling.

"I'll be there."

In three seconds he is already standing up, holding my coat and his jacket in one hand and taking my hand in his other.

"Sorry, but this can't wait." He says abruptly and we start walking out. He is not looking at me.

Once we are in his car, I don't know what to think.

Is his mom okay? Is she sick? Who is Luke?

I look at Adam and he is not in a state where I could ask him any of those questions.

"I need to go and see her, she is going absolutely crazy." He says to me, but he is still not looking in my direction.

"Fuck, what about Vincent?" He is talking to himself.

"Fuck!" He suddenly raises his voice.

"Fuck!" He yells out and hits his steering wheel.

I immediately take his hand and hold it between mine.

I am not scared of him, I am scared of what could be so bad that it is making him lose his cool like this.

"Oh my god, Cora, I am so sorry."

"Hey, look, I don't have to do anything tomorrow, I can stay up late, so how about I deal with Vincent while you are dealing with your mom?" I can't believe what I am saying. For all I know, Vincent could be his son.