Ch. 5: Part Two

Yuri couldn't let this happen.

Yor's little brother resolved, rummaging through a box of documents and papers.

When he imagined Yor grieving and distressed over Anya, it sent his stomach in loops, unable to bear the thought. He would find the chihuahua, if only for her. He personally couldn't care less.

It saddened him that he couldn't tell her the whole story. That he was part of the secret police, appalled that she would ever know all the dirty work he did.

Yuri straightened his uniform jacket as he pulled out a file holding disappointingly little. But it was a start.

He considered the photo at the Forgers when he went to console his sister.

He had come unannounced, knocking on the door to hear the hurried shuffling of papers. Loid had greeted and let him in, telling him his sister wasn't home.

He would've left right then and there, but he saw no papers, and was curious about the noises he heard through the door. He'd take every little chance he could to prove Loid was a spy and get him away from his sister. He has never, and will never accept this sorry excuse as a man for a brother-in-law.

So he stayed. Waited 'til Loid excused himself to use the washroom, looked around, and helped himself to the folder Loid hid behind a bookshelf. He didn't know how he got it, but for now, just for now. He'd let it slide.

He couldn't prove he was a spy with this anyway. People were brought in for questioning for much less, but it was about the woman who kidnapped his daughter. It was sketchy he had this though, he'd have to follow up later.

He made a mental image of the photo, but he was ninety eight percent sure he'd seen her before.

It was the same.

At his desk, Yuri placed the file from his office in front of him. A case he had worked on before.

The woman had taken on more than one identity. The Secret Police had info on one such person: a lady with a feathered hat, large circular glasses, a blue dress of brocade. Different clothes. Different name. Different location. Same face.

Yuri could work with this.

————-

'School is pointless.'

Becky thought, trudging up the stairs the second morning since Anya was kidnapped. How was she supposed to concentrate when her best friend was missing? She wanted to be at home with her father when he received the news his people had found her. Convincing her father to help had been easy, but didn't expect she wouldn't be around to hear the updates on the situation.

But Father said it might be a while, and waiting around, lying in bed wasn't going to help. So he sent her to school. Told her to use it as a distraction.

She felt like sludge, moving through quicksand. Putting her foot one in front of the other, an insurmountable obstacle.

Her bag felt heavier than usual, weighing her further. It felt eerily similar to guilt.

She didn't want to think of her promises to Anya. All the promises to always protect her. In the end she couldn't keep it. she knew it was ridiculous to think she could've protected Anya from something like this, but she couldn't help it.

She had wanted to stay home. Lay in bed all day. Sleep until this was over. Sleep until there was good news. Sleep until Anya came back.

It felt too exhausting to be awake. To go to school. Too exhausting to throw snide remarks at Damian as he descended the short staircase with his friends.