Chapter Twelve

Kai was angry.

Anya peeked through the window as he stormed into the warehouse, the door flung open with such force it banged and bounced against the wall.

Anya shrank, unbuckling herself to crawl across the seat to the other side and huddled on the floor. A cold sweat started, along with her rising heart rate.

Agent Fisher parked the car and before she could even get out, the director tore the backseat door open, hands slamming on the roof, glaring death at her.

"It's not Anya's fault!" She cried, before he could say anything.

"This is every bit your fault." He growled, reaching in to grab her by the back of her dress.

"No!" She screamed as he dragged her out of the car.

"No! Nononono!" Anya knew where he would take her. "Anya's sorry! It was by accident! She yelled, sobbing, as Kai carried her back inside. Fisher disappeared from view as she watched on, her face clouded as the door closed.

The director stalked down the halls, his daughter kicking and screaming, her hands reaching for his that wouldn't let go

"ANYA'S SORRY! ANYA DOESN'T WANT TO GO THE DARK ROOM!!"

"YOU SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT BEFORE RUNNING AWAY AND EXPOSING YOURSELF!!" His voice a yelling growl. "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH THIS COMPLICATES MY PLANS?!" Kai reached the end of a hall.

A door without a lock.

Because it didn't need it.

"NO! NONONONONONO!" Anya screamed, Kai's hand pushing it open. The other hand tossing her inside. He followed, slamming the door behind him, a seething rage suffusing the room. The dim bulb hanging from the ceiling not offering much light.

Anya picked herself up as he strode for a cupboard in the corner, a whimper escaping her.

He wrenched open the door, pulling out a length of coiled leather. A hand grabbing for one end as his arm lashed out.

Anya moved back as the whip cracked loudly against the floor, a sickening echo rebounding off the walls.

—————

Yuri was sick of this.

They were getting nowhere. She had nerves of steel, her mouth a sealed trap they couldn't pry open no matter what they tried. Pulled teeth. Needles under the nails. Electricity. Broke a knee. A hand. Her nose. Several ribs. Even when they blared alarms to keep her awake, she slept through them. One of their best tactics, driving the person to insanity and resignation, reduced to white noise.

With a disgruntled sigh that was more of a groan, he entered the room and dragged a chair to sit across from the spy.

She sat relaxed, staring him down, her hands cuffed to the table that was bolted to the floor.

She reclined against the back of the chair as her legs stretched under the table and crossed at the ankles.

Even covered in blood, mangled hands, and a crooked nose, her face was stoic. Almost amused at their attempts to break her. She raised an eyebrow like she had all the time in the world. A prompt for him to speak.

Yuri sat, crossing his legs, hands resting interlaced on his lap. He was not leaving until he got what he wanted.

"You're tough to crack." He said simply.

A smirk crept over her face, an off-setting effect taking rest in Yuri's bones as a scoff escaped her.

"Nothing you do to me could compare to the horrors I've seen. You think the SSS is so intimidating, but all I see are children running around with sticks in their hands." She rebuffed, utterly unimpressed with their efforts.