Ch. 9: Part Two

Anya knew what to expect.

...kinda.

Okay, not at all.

When the director said she was going to a club where several crime families were meeting up, she didn't really know that meant.

She imagined a club house in a tree, thinking it'd have to be pretty big to fit that many people.

This was starkly different.

She thought, as they descended a staircase leading below ground level. A man stood guard at a door.

He raised an eyebrow at the kid standing beside Fisher, receiving an icy stare from the agent in response.

He asked for a password.

She gave it.

They entered a world new to Anya, who curiously absorbed it all.

Jazz played in the background, yellow lights strung on the walls. Low tables set up in front of cushy benches to lounge on. People were dressed in fancy clothes, drinking and laughing.

So many people.

It hit Anya like a brick.

She hadn't read anyone's minds in a little over two weeks. Static and garbled nonsense every time she tried. But now they were crowding for attention. Loud and obnoxious. Ever present and swarming.

Their faces were calm, and smiling so perfectly. Talking peaceably and stoically, their thoughts suspicious and sneaky. Speaking friendly to people they did not trust.

Agent Fisher moved among them with ease. Smiled pleasantly to people she passed as if she knew them.

A smile Anya hadn't ever seen in her life. Anya didn't know the agent could smile.

Fisher had never looked so refined. Walking confidently. Slowly. Appraisingly. As if this was her life.

She demanded respect with every step she took.

"Ferrah!" A woman's voice called happily in their direction. Her red dress swishing about her legs. Wavy blonde hair pinned in braids about her head. Her hands held out as she approached.

The client.

"Kiara." Agent Fisher cooed back, accepting her hug, like two best friends who hadn't met in a while.

"It's good to see you, dear." Kiara feigned.

"It's been a while." 'Ferrah' agreed.

They chatted for a couple of minutes to keep up pretences, before Kiara claimed she had other guests to tend to.

Fisher nodded at Anya to start gleaning information.

For the next two hours, Anya paid close attention to who Kiara spoke to. Listened to their thoughts. Who would betray her. Who were her friends. Schemes against her family or syndicate.

She was one of the most influential people in the underworld, and as such, had many enemies.

Enter Anya.

Mere child's play for an esper who could easily weed out her foes.

Literally.

So Anya did her job and found them.

Kai was pleased.

He left Noah alone.

The dye rinsed out after a wash.