Ch. 14: Part Three

It had never been more awkward between Loid and Yor on the drive home. They at least had an excuse on their walk to the car as they concentrated on their feet in the dark. But now it just felt highly uncomfortable.

So Loid drove.

And drove.

Not a word spoken between them.

Both panicked inside, wondering how they were going to have this conversation.

Yor didn't want to lose this life she had. Lose Anya. Or Loid. She was afraid it would all go away if he knew. She didn't want him to be scared to leave Anya with her. Or be around her himself. She didn't want him to think her disturbing for what she did.

Loid worried Yor would leave. How'd she'd react to him. It would cause so many problems. Operation Strix. Anya. Not to mention the risk of his identity being leaked. He knew she wasn't that kind of person, but it lingered in the back of his mind. Would she hate him? Would she be angry?

They wondered how much they didn't know about the other, and almost afraid to hear the answers they wanted. How they ended up at that lab.

The subject hung in the air, as if taunting them.

"I'M AN ASSASSIN!" Yor belted out as she covered her face, unable to take it anymore.

"WHAT?!" Loid reacted and the car swerved sharply to the left. Swerved sharply to the right as he corrected and the wheels squealed, his heart jumping out of his chest.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE AN ASSASSIN?!" He glanced at her from the road.

"JUST WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE!" Yor yelled back through her hands, unable to face him. "I'M HIRED TO KILL PEOPLE!"

"I'M A SPY!" Loid returned impulsively, aggressively. He couldn't not say it now.

"WHAT?!" Yor's hands dropped, looking at him. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE A SPY?!"

"JUST WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE! I GATHER INTEL ON ONSTANIA!"

"YURI WAS RIGHT???!!!!"

"I'M ON YOUR SIDE! I'M TRYING TO PREVENT A WAR!"

"I ONLY KILL TERRIBLE PEOPLE!"

"I WOULD NEVER HURT YOU!"

"I WOULD NEVER HURT YOU!" Yor's words, the last note as the following silence rang through. Their screams lingered like an echo, unheard. An abrupt stillness, crashing into them like a wave, submerging them in shocked tension and disbelief. They processed what the other just said, as they were speaking impulsively. Reactively. Defensively.

Now sitting in a different kind of silence.

The situation sunk in. Everything their truths implied. Settling, like snow falling from the sky. Flakes dropping one by one to slowly form coherent ideas and thoughts.

What they'd said. What they'd learned.

What was next.

Hands gripped tight to the wheel, Loid focused intensely on the road, adrenaline coursing. He was very aware of his stiff muscles and of what he'd just done. The implications he'd just placed himself in. Aware of the pressure that flooded the small space, flooded his mind, flooded his very soul. EXTREMELY aware of what Yor just revealed about herself. What that meant. How truly little he knew. The disbelief he was sitting next to her, knowing what he knew now. He was immobilized into sitting still, unable to come to terms with the unexpected screaming match. Not knowing how to even feel.