Ch. 19. Part Three

He forgot to breathe when he zeroed in on her, no idea she was coming today. The announcement that was made last week had only mentioned she was found. Not when she was going to return.

He watched in amazement as she sat with her best friend who had never looked so happy.

'What is this?' He wondered, unable to look away. The sudden lightness that came from nowhere, mixed with a tenseness that compelled him to to do something, but he didn't know what.

Was he sick?

"Welcome back, Miss Forger." Professor Henderson said warmly, a heartbeat before the second bell rang.

"Good morning, class. I trust you've done the assigned reading." He addressed them. "Turn to page two hundred and ten in your textbooks." He said as he wrote on the board.

"Hey." Ewen whispered, absent-mindedly doing as the professor said. "Did you guys know Forger was coming?" He asked, Desmond, not the only one stunned by her attendance.

Emile and Damian shook their heads, flipping through their books.

"What do think happened?" Emile murmured conspiratorially. The stories that had been going around had made everyone wonder.

"Ransom?" Ewen guessed, a speculated theory at the moment.

"No." Damian answered distractedly, his attention still on Forger.

"What?" Asked Emile, genuinely surprised he offered an opinion.

"Um." He uttered, realizing he spoke it, not thought it. "She's a commoner. They didn't go to all that trouble for a few measly coins." He scorned, his cold attitude, a big fat lie.

"What else could it be, then?" Ewen wondered and Damian pondered the same thing.

He'd been asking that question since she was kidnapped and the answer was impossible to find. The nurse could have taken any one of them, but it was all too planned. Too targeted on Forger. If she wanted any of the students she could have easily planned something less complicated. She didn't need to plant herself as a nurse at the school and set the alarm off.

But she did. And she went for Forger. A nobody.

Or so he once thought.

What kind of importance did Forger hold to this person to warrant that much scheming? To warrant that much effort? Maybe it was a personal thing and she was the regular person he thought she was. The other option, that she held a high status of some sort and someone was after her? If that was the case, the nurse was probably hired. People in high positions don't do that sort of thing themselves.

But that didn't work, either. If they just wanted her dead, they could have hired a regular hitman. And if they were going to sell her off somewhere, it would've already happened. She was gone long enough, that it would've been too late to rescue her. And if it was personal. . .they still could've wanted her dead, and it still didn't make sense.

The only other thing he could think of, was maybe she had something they wanted, but what could a kid like her have? Or sometimes parents would track down their runaway children, but that was automatically ruled out.

Her parents already had her.

So what in the world happened? None of this made sense! If the nurse was going to kidnap her, the least she could have done, was leave some clues!

. . .

. . .

. . .

Wait a second, he backtracked.