Ch. 28: Part Four

Damian wrung his hands as he paced and he couldn't stop crying. His pulse was fast and his hands were shaky and clammy. He was scared out of his mind and he could do nothing when that lady had dragged Forger away.

Was he next? What was happening to her? Was she okay? What the heck was he supposed to do?

She'd gone screaming and kicking, clawing and crying, fighting to be let go, cursing at Agent Fisher. She'd been so scared and that scared Damian even more.

He was freaking out, he was so terrified. What was happening? When would they get out of here, would. . . would Forger still be alive to get out of here?! Would he?!

He was breathing faster now and he was choking on his throat.

Would they ever get out of here?! What if the people who were tracking the device were too late?! What if they never came? Where was Forger?! What was happening?! Why did they take her?!

Clank!

Damian flinched violently from his pacing when the metal door unlocked and his heart shot up like a rocket.

They were coming back, they were coming back. Someone was coming for him and—and—what happened at a lab?! Were they going to—

He couldn't finish it.

He couldn't wonder what happened to Forger here, whatever is was, that it might happen to him.

Damian backed away from the door that was opening and he didn't want it to.

He wanted out before, and now he wanted the room sealed. He wanted it closed. Closed, closed, closed. What did he do, what did he do?! He couldn't breathe, he couldn't—

"Damian?" An unexpected voice quietly slipped inside, a tone he'd heard once or twice. It wasn't the director or Agent Fisher and he had to be imagining this man in an agent's uniform.

"Mr. Forger?" It was the barest of whispers, catching on his tongue and shaking in his throat. This made no sense to him, but Damian inhaled like he might never get another and sobbed.

Mr. Forger was here and he had his daughter with him. She was here, she was okay.

"What's going on?" He asked hoarsely.

"C'mon, we have to go." Mr. Forger gestured as if his presence should've been anticipated and glanced down the hall.

"Right now. C'mon!" He urged and Damian ran to him. He didn't want to spend another moment here and Mr. Forger was the closest thing to a trustworthy adult here. Damian was so confused, but he'd rather get out now and question it later.

Mr. Forger took his hand and, though Damian was brought into screeching hallways, comfort wrapped around him like Mr. Forger's hand. It was if he was taking Damian's fears, his anxieties off his shoulders and making them his own instead. An adult was here to protect them, take responsibility. An adult was here to fix this, someone Damian could rely on and suddenly things didn't feel so dire.

Mr. Forger pulled him along and he was fast. Damian was half-dragged and he couldn't hold on tight enough. It didn't matter though, because Mr. Forger had a firm grip and kept him going.

Traversing the lab was easier than Damian thought. Since Mr. Forger was disguised, he only had to slow when agents came across them. If any of them questioned why Mr. Forger was escorting the children in such a familiar manner, they didn't say anything.

Bwaaaaaa! Bwaaaaaa! Bwaaaaaa! Bwaaaaaa!

Red lights pulsed as an alarm went off and Mr. Forger continued as if it didn't matter.