Chapter Eighteen

Yuri knew.

It was all Anya could think about after he left. The secret she'd kept so close to her, not so secret anymore. It was a consolation that he wouldn't tell anyone. That he'd keep it to himself, which surprised her, honestly.

It was a new feeling, this sense of vulnerability that she couldn't do anything about. That someone else was in possession of her secret that she couldn't protect. She felt assured it was safe with him, but nervous. It haunted her when she went to bed, bringing back the nightmares she thought were over, and woke up late, to find only Yor. Loid had gone to work. Some mission or other.

Anya fed Bond before remembering it was much too late for breakfast, but he didn't mind.

She left him to eat as she took her drawing supplies to the living room, scattering a few crayons on the table. She took one in her hand as she got to work. She had a lot of time to make up for.

——————

Yuri pinched his nose, taking a deep breath, as he stood outside the door.

He prepared himself for who waited in the interrogation room.

Opened it.

"Brook." He greeted, coming to stand by the table, not bothering to sit. Wether she told him or not, it would be a short session.

The spy gave a dead stare in return. "What do you want, now?" She said, her disposition tired of his questioning as well.

"Same thing as yesterday. Who's subject 004?" Yuri asked.

A moment of silence. A tip of her head. A sigh like that of disappointment. "You know who 007 is." Stated Brook in discontentment.

"Stay out of my head." Yuri warned, glad he'd made sure there would be no witnesses, precisely for that reason. "Who. Is 004?" He repeated, never having so much trouble for one little piece of data.

"If I say I don't know, will you leave me alone?" She asked dryly.

Yuri's fingertips that relaxed like a claw on the table, moved subtly as his index began tapping. His growing impatience with her, apparent.

"I don't. Know." She said, a pointed tone.

"You don't know, but you know who 007 is?" Yuri challenged.

"I only know 'cause I was sent to fetch her. I have no idea who 004 is."

Yuri didn't know if he believed her. If he did, that made his job much more difficult. But he also knew, he wouldn't be able to get anything out of her if she wasn't willing to give it.

"Believe me or not, it's the truth." She responded to his thoughts, Yuri clicking his tongue in annoyance.

This is why he didn't want to come in here.

If she wasn't lying, his only lead was the director and the scientists. And they had yet to find any of them.

He forcefully tapped his finger a few times again as he considered and whipped back around to leave the room.

He had lot of work to do if Brook couldn't give him the information.

He walked briskly down the hall, nodding to one of his superiors on his way.

A lot of work, indeed.

—————

Twilight walked down the hall with the commanding presence his stolen identity carried. His subordinates, not blinking twice at his perfect disguise. He wished he could have chosen someone lower on the ladder, but they wouldn't have access to what he needed. If anyone found out that Lucas Fern wasn't actually here today, they'd know they'd been infiltrated. While they wouldn't know it was him, their defences would raise all them same. Making the next time, much harder.