Chapter 13

Merida POV

A few hours have passed and the doctors told us that Hiccup's father was in a stable condition. However, over those couple of hours, my condition has gotten worse. My hair is turning grey because of my fur, my ears are pointed like those of a dog, my eyes are still a yellowish-green, my claws are still out and I'm scratching things up, my marks have run down to my stomach, and my senses have heightened.

I can literally hear when a woman is yelling at her husband when she's giving birth, saying things like, 'this is all your fault!' or 'oh my gosh! This hurts so bad!' I actually felt really sorry for them. Hiccup isn't taking my condition that good either. He's confused and frustrated, trying to find a way to get me back to normal without having to turn myself into Mor'du and to get my family back. I look at him and he's running his hand through his hair, inhaling and exhaling out of a mixture of determination and frustration.

I set my hand on his shoulder, but immediately pull back, digging my hands into my pockets as I saw that grey fur was covering the top of it and that people were staring. He looked at me with sympathy and I just avoided eye contact, not wanting anyone's pity. My thoughts drifted off to the two little kids who came up to me earlier and asked me questions. I smiled as I remembered their faces lighting up with curiosity and admiration as I answered their questions. I then frowned. They were so young, so innocent. They haven't experienced how dark the world could really be. How cruel people could treat them. How scary the world turns out to be.

Hiccup looked at me and lifted up my chin. "Hey, its ok. We'll get through this." he said softly. He rubbed my shoulder and then, dug into his pocket. He pulled out a necklace with two dragons. One dragon was silver and the other was gold. They both curved up to make a heart, while their tales wrapped around eachother and their wings covered their body. "This was my mother's before she died. My father gave it to her when I was born and I managed to get it before my father disowned me." he explained and I just stared at it.

"It's beautiful, Hic." I said and he smiled at me before standing up and going behind me. I lifted my hair up and he put the necklace around my neck. I felt his lips touch the side of my head and I let my hair drop. A police officer came in and called Hiccup over to ask him some questions. I sat there waiting for him as I examined the beautiful necklace around my neck.

While Hiccup was talking to the officer, I stood up and snuck out of the hospital, into the cool open air. The sun was setting, and I could barely make out the moon. I know that this sounds extremely cliche and a bit weird, but I always look to the moon for guidance. Like I have a connection with it, besides the fact that every time there is a full moon, I turn into a 7 foot dog. "Please, help me." I whispered and took a deep breath through my nose.

I caught a strange sent. It smelled like, a mixture of chemicals and blood. I looked back at the hospital, debating whether I should go back in and ignore the smell, then I felt a hand on my shoulder. My head snaps around and I see Rapunzel. She smiles softly at me and I sigh before sitting down on the pavement. She sits down next to me and we just sit there in silence, staring up at the moon. "I know you smell it too, Rapunzel," I said not looking at her. "And I know that you're just as curious as to what it is as I am."

She didn't say anything, but played with her fingers. "I think I know what it is, but I want to make sure." I said standing up, but I immediately sat back down. I suddenly felt a pain in my side and lifted up my shirt to see that the marks were crawling over my side and up to my back, connecting with my original scar. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. I stopped after I scratched my scalp and felt a little bit of blood.

"What do I do?" I asked and burried my face into my hands as I felt the blood run down my scalp. "What do you think you should do?" Rapunzel asked back and I shook my head. "I think I should turn myself in and save Hiccup the trouble of looking after me." I said and stood up. She immediately stood up after me and grabbed my shoulders.

"Are you crazy?! You'll get yourself killed!"

"Better me than Hiccup."

"What about Hiccup! He was completely miserable until you came. The only time I've seen him smile, is when he was with you. You can't leave him!"

"Then what am I going to do?! His life, my family's life, Jack's life and your life is in danger because of me! I'd rather turn myself in and get killed knowing that my family and the people I love is safe, than just standing here and killing everyone around me. His father almost died because of me and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if any of you died because you were trying to protect me!" I looked her deep in the eyes as I was on the verge of tears.

She pulled me into a hug and I cried on her shoulder. "I have to do this." I sobbed and she hugged me tighter. "You can't! W-We can find a way to stop them. There has to be another way." she said, pulling away from the hug and looking hopeful. She started to cry too and I hugged her again. "You and I both know that this is the only way," I said, sadly while looking down.

"I'm coming with you then." she replied, with a look of determination on her face. I realized that I couldn't talk her out of this and that she would basically end up following me anyways, so I just nodded. She started running in the direction of the smell and I looked up at the moon, which was fully visible because it was night. I glared at it for a while before murmuring, "you were no help at all."

"Are you coming?" Rapunzel asked me and I nodded. Before I ran to her, I looked back at the hospital with sad eyes and felt a tear running down my cheek. I touched my neck and flinched at the cold metal. I unhooked the necklace, ran back into the hospital, and sat the necklace down in the seat that I was sitting in. I ran back out of the hospital, taking one last look at the door. "This is the only way. I'm so sorry, Hiccup." I said, crying even more. I turned on my heel and ran back to Rapunzel.

I ran down the street, out of town, into the woods, the smell getting stronger and the urge to turn into the monster I am becoming unbearable, not looking back at the hospital where I left Hiccup, my life, and my heart behind.

A/N
Hello. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. In my opinion, this is the saddest chapter I have done in this book. Anyways, until the next chapter. Bye!