4 ∆ The Outsider

Today was the first miserable, wet Tuesday of October

Today was the first miserable, wet Tuesday of October. Not even the sun wanted to rise properly.

The slightly cracked window brought a harsh breeze around Luke's room. His window was very rarely shut. He quite enjoyed the dull buzz of traffic. It somehow managed to filter through the roar of white noise that preoccupied his brain.

Most mornings started this way, with Luke laid on his back, watching as the loose, black mesh curtains rippled in the breeze, causing silhouettes to dance on the wall opposite.

Stubbing out his cigarette, Luke dragged himself up, threw on the same clothes as yesterday and headed into the kitchen.

The house was silent. Luke had stayed at Ashton as had the other boys. He could hear people moving about the house making breakfast and getting ready for another day of business as they would say, misery he would correct.

Pouring himself the last of the coffee, he shot it back and yanked his keys out of his pocket. With a glance towards Ashton, he dismissed himself from the group and set off towards his car.

With his hood firmly around his head, he pushed through the door, ignoring all of the stares.

"Your usual Mr Hemmings?" The waitress asked to which he returned a nod and a smile.

Taking the disposable coffee cup he made his way to his favorite seat in the house; the booth in the right hand corner. This was where he went most mornings to start his day off right.

Even though his nights were filled with distasteful choices and regret-filled decisions, he spent his mornings trying to repay them.

So each morning he would sit in his booth at Bookscape and pick a random person and he would pay for their order. It was a small, probably an insignificant gesture compared to the horror he caused others the nights prior but it did mask the pain a little.

On the other side of town, Demi Sat crossed legged on her bed. She reached for her phone and pressed the dial on the number she had wanted for months.

"Hello, is this Mr Irwin?" She asked politely.

"Who is this?" He replied rudely.

"I got your number from Calum, he said this was the best way to contact you," Demi explained whilst Ashton sent an intriguing glare to Hood.

Ashton covered the phone and spoke, "who gave you permission to give my number to strangers?"

Calum smiled sheepishly, he knew he had forgotten to tell Ashton something...

"She's nice don't worry" he tried to reassure but he was met with a raised brown from Ash and a darkened stare.

"What do you want?"

"To meet with you in person to discuss my group's campaign to put up self defense class posters and helpline posters up in every club, bar and pub in the area" she paused, hoping and praying for an answer she wanted to hear.