7 ∆ Getaway Car

Today was the 21st of November and for most it was an ordinary day and for Demi it was ordinary

Today was the 21st of November and for most it was an ordinary day and for Demi it was ordinary...well it was in her eyes.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Demi, happy birthday to you" Blake sang out of tune as he presented Demi with a single sprinkle covered, chocolate cupcake with a blue candle shoved into the top.

Despite her detachment from the day, she couldn't help the smile that painted her face. She looked lovingly at Blake's face and blew out the candle.

She sighed with a smile, "thanks".

"Here, have a bite." Blake demanded.

"No I'm fine tha-" she started to reply but she struggled to finish her sentence as Blake had shoved half of the cupcake into her mouth.

Coughing and spluttering slightly, she removed part of the wrapper from her mouth and rolled her eyes at him.

She gave in and ate the damn thing but only because it was him. If anyone else has done that, a good dousing of pepper spray would be in order.

Looking down at the notes sprawled on her bed, Blake's muscles tensed, "oh no no no you're not doing anything like that on your birthday!"

"I am, now if you don't mind I have somewhere to be" she pushed past him but paused in the doorframe.

Sighing deeply with a twist in her stomach, she spun around and gave him a hug, her arms squeezing him tightly.

"I love you" she murmured.

"I love you too, promise me you'll be home for taco night?"

She giggled into his chest, "I wouldn't dare miss taco night, it's the best night of the year!" She exclaimed.

For the first time in her life she had actual plans on her birthday... They started with her meeting Calum in their favorite spot.

From the weeks of secret meet ups, Demi had learnt that Calum had never learnt to read properly. He just wasn't a fluent reader, slow and monotone. So when they met each week, Demi patiently taught him how to read with confidence.

He had promised her that by her birthday, he would read her a whole chapter of her favorite book.

Cosying up in the booth, she had her back lent against his chest, her head rested on his shoulder and his arms wrapped loosely around her, he read aloud a chapter from one of her favorite books, Me Before You, particularly the chapter where Will gives Lou her favorite childhood yellow and black bumblebee tights as a birthday present.

A smile beamed from her face as Calum's confidence grew line by line. For the first time in over a decade, her mind slowed and she focused on the peacefulness of the moment.

Pressing a kiss to the top of her head, Calum sighed, placing the book on the table.

"What's up Cal?" Demi asked, pulling away to look at him.