Chapter 3: Becky

The next morning, I found myself once again sitting under the oak tree. This time, I wasn't reading; instead, I eagerly awaited the sound of the girl's voice. I had prayed the night before, hoping to catch a glimpse of her face. After that, I promised myself I'd stop watching her—just one encounter would be enough.

Or not? It depends.

Soon, her melodic voice reached my ears while I was engrossed in my book. A smile automatically appeared as I heard her angelic tones. Looking up, I saw her walking toward the seat where the guy from the previous day sat.

When I saw her for the first time, I was breathless and amazed by her beauty. It surpassed anything I could have imagined. Her features were perfectly crafted.

Her presence had a captivating charm, drawing everyone's attention effortlessly

Her presence had a captivating charm, drawing everyone's attention effortlessly. As she sat and talked with the guy, her vibrant aura seemed to light up the surroundings, captivating everyone around her. Her smile was captivating, like a thousand sunbeams shining on her face, mesmerizing all who saw it.

Her eyes were shimmering pools of warmth and sincerity, filled with joy, curiosity, and intelligence. Her laughter sounded like the sweet chimes of a bell, filling the air with delight.

Why am I being so poetic? Is her beauty driving me mad? I shook my head and heaved a sigh as I looked at her again. Damn, Freen.

Well, I am beautiful too. Maybe I just need a little improvement in my appearance.

"Why are you here so early?" the girl asked her friend, offering him a cup of something he sipped. "I told you, I want to be alone today."

"Why? This isn't like you. Every time I come here, you ask me to go somewhere with you. What's changed, Becky?" the guy asked, looking confused.

Becky. That's her name. It suits her, just like her lovely personality.

"I'm tired. I don't feel like going out," she replied, shrugging nonchalantly, her gaze fixed on the sky as if admiring its vastness. "I yearn to be as free as the birds," she whispered softly, but I could still hear her words.

I wondered what was missing in her life. She seemed privileged based on her house and attire, and she appeared intelligent as well. What could be lacking, Becky?

"We can do it next month," the guy suggested with an awkward smile, after they had talked about various things, even the end of the world. I wouldn't bring up such a topic if I were them. It's quite unsettling.

As they went inside, I got up from my seat. Instead of burying my nose in a book, I spent the entire morning gossiping with them.

"Freen, were you in the backyard? I called for you in your room, but there was no answer, so I assumed you were still asleep," my mom said, placing dishes on the dining area.

I sat down, and my mom handed me a glass of milk. I smiled at the gesture, but I had outgrown my love for milk. I was a coffee lover now. Books, arts, and coffee are my life.

"Mom, do we have any coffee?" I asked, taking a sip of the milk.

My mom burst into laughter unexpectedly, causing me to furrow my brows. She handed me a napkin and gestured for me to wipe my lips. That's when I realized I had milk on them.

"Why are you suddenly looking for coffee? Don't tell me you prefer it to milk now," she asked, still chuckling.

I joined in her laughter as she went to the kitchen to prepare a cup of coffee. I waited patiently in the dining area.

Ever since my father left, my mom had been actively involved in taking care of me. She was the only one who stood by my side when no one else did. At first, I thought her suggestion for me to study abroad was a way for her to distance herself, but as time went on, I realized it was her desire for me to have a bright future, knowing that she wouldn't always be there by my side.

"Mom," I called out. I love you.

She looked at me, awaiting my next words, but all I did was shake my head and express gratitude for the coffee.

"Anyway, Freen, do you have a boyfriend?" she inquired, causing me to almost choke. "Are you alright?" she quickly asked, handing me a glass of water.

"Thank you, but I'm not interested in having one," I chuckled in response.

"Why not? I know someone who is also single and the same age as you," my mom teased, wiggling her eyebrows, but I shook my head.

"I'm just not ready yet," I replied.

"Alright," she said, shrugging. "But if ever you change your mind, we can visit Billy's house. He's a nice young man," she chuckled.

And this was the one thing I was not yet ready to share with my mom.

I still don't know if I'm attracted to boys or girls. I'm still trying to figure it out.