Chapter 14: Unspoken Feelings

As soon as I sat down on the chair, my mother shot me a piercing look. It seemed like she knew something, and she was definitely not happy about it.

Could she have found out about my crush on Becky?

"Why are you staring at me like that?" I asked, feigning innocence and casting my eyes downward.

"You went out last night," she said, causing a sigh of relief to escape from me. "Who did you meet outside at midnight?" she inquired.

"I went out to gaze at the stars. The sky was absolutely beautiful last night," I replied, flashing an awkward smile, and continued eating.

"But I saw you with someone. The way you were looking at her, it seemed like she was the most precious treasure in the world," she stated sternly.

Her description of my gazes at Becky made me nearly choke on my food. It was true, though, but she spoke as if I was completely infatuated. Well, wasn't I?

"Mom, that's Becky. I was talking to her last night," I explained.

My mom sat down in the chair across from me and tilted her head, lost in thought. "I've noticed how much Becky has changed ever since you came here."

"What do you mean?" I asked, curious.

"Well, at first, I didn't really like her because she was always out and about, partying, going to clubs, you know. But since you arrived, she's been staying at home. Even Billy's mom was wondering why Becky chose to stay rather than go out with Billy these past few days," she said, turning to look at me. "Do you think something's going on with her?"

I shrugged, shifting my gaze to the outside. Since I arrived here, Becky hadn't been going out, and I thought she was just taking a break since there was no school or work for her. Maybe she was deliberately avoiding someone. I reached for my glass and took another sip.

"I think she likes you," my mom declared.

Her words caught me off guard, and I coughed in response. My mom quickly handed me a napkin to wipe my lips and chuckled at my reaction.

"I know you're not gay, but Becky is. What if she likes you? Can't you see it?" she prodded.

"What? I didn't know Becky before, so how could I possibly know if she changed her behavior towards me?" I furrowed my brow and shook my head.

However, deep down inside, I secretly hoped that my mother was right. I wanted Becky to look at me the way I looked at her. I wanted her to like me as much as I liked her. I liked her so much, and I couldn't quite explain why.

"Anyway, your father told me that he's planning your art exhibition in Italy. He needs your help there. What should I tell him about your flight?" my mom inquired.

It was a dream come true. A dream I had cherished for a long time. But I couldn't leave just yet.

"Mom, can you tell him that I need some time to think about it?" I asked.

Mom nodded. "Okay."

After breakfast, I stepped outside to breathe in some fresh air. My mind was filled with countless thoughts. Becky was going back to England, and I was going to Italy. Yet, I hadn't told her about my feelings. I was still afraid. I didn't know how to start or what to say.

Sighing heavily, I found solace under the shade of an oak tree. I crossed my arms over my chest and closed my eyes, trying to relax and immerse myself in the tranquil atmosphere.

I couldn't leave without telling her everything. I couldn't leave just yet.

"This place is so peaceful," Becky's voice echoed in my ears, and I felt her head rest on my lap. It was her. "What are you pondering so deeply about?" Becky chuckled, blocking the sun's rays peeking through the branches of the tree.

"Why are you here?" I asked. "You're supposed to be at your favorite spot," I reminded her.

"Well, I saw you here, so I decided to join you. It's too hot over there," Becky chuckled and looked at me.

Under the canopy of leaves, I gazed down at her, and time seemed to stand still, granting us an eternal moment. Our eyes locked, and the world around us faded into insignificance. It felt as though the universe had conspired to create this magical instance where our souls intertwined and spoke a language beyond words.

The unspoken intensity between us reverberated through the air. We shared a connection that went beyond mere friendship, a silent understanding that danced within the depths of our locked gazes. It was a mixture of longing, affection, and a hint of uncertainty, all swirling within the depths of our eyes.

Every part of my being yearned to reveal what my heart held captive. Words of love and adoration surged within me, desperate to be set free. But as I summoned the courage to utter those three simple yet life-altering words, Becky looked away, breaking the spell that had enveloped us.

Her sudden retreat left me bewildered, a whirlwind of emotions crashing over me like a tidal wave. Confusion, longing, and a pang of disappointment surged through my veins. I wanted to call out to her, to chase after her retreating figure, but the weight of uncertainty held me captive beneath the tree.

As she walked away, the leaves above rustled with a tinge of melancholy, mirroring the storm within my heart. I watched her silhouette fade into the distance, my fingers entangled in the grass beneath me, an unspoken confession still lingering in the air.

The next time our eyes met, I would lay bare my emotions, weaving them into a tapestry of honesty and vulnerability. And perhaps, just perhaps, the unspoken magic that bound us would blossom into a love story.

"I love you, Becky."