Chapter 12: Saint

I woke up early with Becky lying beside me, her arms wrapped around me as if I were her pillow. My arms started to go numb, but I didn't dare move, afraid of waking her up. I stayed there for a while, and when she finally shifted, I got up and went outside to stretch my body.

As I walked towards the outdoor area, I noticed Richie looking at me with his friends. I awkwardly joined them and offered to help with cooking breakfast.

There was a guy standing next to Richie who seemed familiar. I remembered him as the person who made Becky cry that night. What was he doing here? Could he be Becky's boyfriend too? I couldn't help but wonder why he was here.

"By the way, Freen, this is Saint, Becky's boyfriend," Richie introduced him.

I shrugged and chuckled, saying, "Nice meeting you. I'm Becky's neighbor and friend."

Saint nodded and chuckled slightly before turning towards the tent. I glanced at Becky and noticed her furrowed brows when she saw Saint.

I guess Becky had the same reaction as me. What is he doing here?

"What are you doing here?" Becky asked as she sat between me and Richie. "Did you invite him?" She turned to her brother, and Richie immediately shook his head.

"Let's talk somewhere," Saint said, standing up.

Richie motioned for Becky to follow him, and she complied, though clearly annoyed.

As I watched them disappear from sight, I turned to Richie and asked with a small chuckle, "Why does it feel like they're at war?"

"Becky wanted to break up with him, but he didn't want to. He asked for our help, so my mother sent me here to help them reconcile," Richie explained, shaking his head as he stirred the noodles in the pot.

"Do you like him for her?" I suddenly asked.

Richie chuckled and looked at me in disbelief. "Why would I like him for her? He cheated on my sister. Becky saw him kissing another girl once. That's the reason she wanted to break up with him. Even though Becky told our mom about it, she didn't believe her."

"Why not?"

"Becky once confessed that she's in love with a girl. I think her name was Charlotte," Richie rubbed the back of his neck. "But my mother was disgusted by her confession. So they found someone she had to date, and that's Saint."

"Where's Charlotte now?"

"You're asking a lot of questions," Richie said, gently messing up my hair. "Charlotte is married now. To another girl. But they're still friends."

I nodded, understanding the situation a bit better.

So Becky is gay, and she couldn't date someone of the same sex because of her mother. I looked in their direction and felt a mix of sympathy and frustration.

"I wish I could fully support her, but I can't control the situation. I feel sorry for Becky," Richie said sadly, focusing on his cooking.

After enjoying a satisfying meal with Becky, Saint, and Richie, we gathered our belongings and began descending the mountain before darkness fell. The atmosphere grew strangely quiet as we reached the cars. Saint headed towards his vehicle, while Becky, Richie, and I piled into Richie's car. The journey started, accompanied by an uncomfortable silence, and I could sense Becky's inner turmoil.

It was clear that Becky was reluctant to reconcile with Saint, but she felt the weight of her mother's expectations pressing upon her. It was a painful predicament for her, and I could feel her anguish with every passing moment. Suddenly, a single tear rolled down her cheek, and she quickly turned her gaze towards the window, hoping we wouldn't notice her vulnerability.

The car ride continued in silence, the unspoken thoughts echoing through each passing mile. As we approached the front gate, I knew it was time to say goodbye for now. Stepping out of the car, I turned to Becky and planted a gentle kiss on her forehead. In that moment, I tried to convey reassurance, silently assuring her that everything would eventually fall into place.

With a heavy heart, I made my way towards our house, leaving Becky behind. Though uncertainty filled the air, I held onto the belief that time would heal her wounds and bring resolution to her internal struggle.

And it was only later that I realized the significance of that kiss.

Why did I kiss her?