22. Nyx

Being in the Dawn Court- any other court- was a breath of relief. Nyx needed to get out of the Night Court. Especially after Cassian showed up in the afternoon to check in, only to scold him about running from his problems when Nyx told him he was going to the Dawn Court. The truth was too much, and Nyx had decided he'd leave that night. Zenova was furious for him to leave her so soon, but she had her father.

His arms strained as he carried the trunks through the entry of the palace, aiming for the guest quarters through the inner gardens. Theia was trailing behind him, her bare feet slapping against the marble floor as she gasped and awed at their surroundings. Nyx rounded the large fish pond, surrounded with golden cages and plants of every sort. The central part of the palace was open to the skies, letting moonlight glitter against the water. Nyx could admit it was beautiful, but he was desperate to get settled and hurry down to the village.

There were no guards or servants that passed them as Nyx went to the next bridge off from the garden. Theia hurried to meet his side, her face tilted to the clouds that crept into the dim bridge. He could hear her heavy breaths, the way she held it as they walked through the next set of doors. It was a stunning area of the palace.

Marbled stone made the floor and spiraling stairs, the walls holding alcoves to the open air rather than windows. Nyx climbed the staircase to a small landing that held four rooms. His was always the second one in, and he turned to the third door to shove it open. With a grunt, he dropped the two trunks before grabbing his own on the top. Theia slid into the room behind him, her lips parting as she took in the view.

The Dawn Court had some stunning architecture, Nyx couldn't deny it. He knew what each of these rooms looked like, and he selected Theia's knowing she would be in awe. The bed was a mattress tucked into a drop in the floor, two stone steps down to a sea of silk blankets and a mountain of golden and red pillows. Beside it was an open walkway to a balcony, angled so you'd wake to the dawn the court was named for.

Silk curtains billowed in the soft breeze, dusting the stone floor. Nyx watched as Theia hurried around the bed to the balcony, her hand clinging to the doorway as she peered into the haze of night. His eyes scanned the room, a small touch of pride in his belly at the tall oak vanity and dresser, the paintings hung throughout, and the small counter that held a tray of small sandwiches and drinks. Theia would adore her stay here, and Nyx was proud to have given her the experience.

His eyes settled back onto her. The candle light gave her an ethereal glow, especially clad in those golden clothes. He wanted desperately to know what she looked like beneath that robe, what the sheer material would show him. Nyx adjusted his grip on the trunk handles as he cleared his throat and began to turn.

"Nyx," Theia called his name, making his head snap to her.

"Yes?"

"Will I need to entertain you during this visit, or am I free to explore on my own?"

He wanted to laugh at her question. "Feel free to do what you want. Come find me if you wish to have company or leave."

He didn't let her say anything more. Nyx turned and left her bedroom, kicking open his own door. Nyx chose this room for a reason. The reason wasn't particularly visible at the moment, but during the dawn and day, the view was breathtaking. It overlooked the farmland and pastures, the snaking river and only the slightest view of the village. He could even see it from his bed, despite it being in the floor.

Nyx dropped his trunk beside the vanity and stretched his back, eyes set on the balcony. He didn't mention to Theia that the balconies were all attached, nor that he had a view of her shadow in the moment. He saw her figure against the stone, firelight flickering behind her. His jaw clenched as he glanced toward the village. He needed relief, something to take his mind off of every piece of shit that has plagued his life recently.