32. Theia

It was gone. The smiling, the laughing, the light sensation. Theia was sat on the counter while Nyx finished the cooking, her knees tucked up and wings in tight. She had gotten too deep in her own head, and now the thought of being happy with Nyx terrified her. She didn't trust that they'd find happiness tomorrow or the next day. She was afraid to give him more pieces of herself just for him to crush them beneath his fist like he always had.

"Clams are finished," Nyx spoke, using a ladle to pull them from the butter and seasonings. Theia lifted her head and watched as he laid them in a bowl and went back to frying the fish. Theia slid from the counter and walked over to the stove.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Her voice was soft, softer than she had meant. Nyx glanced at her, his bottom lip pouting slightly. He took a fork and stabbed at the fish, flaking a piece off. He held it to her lips with what looked to be a forced smile. Theia sighed and blew cool air on the fish before she took it into her mouth.

She hummed at the taste, eyes fluttering closed. Nyx had always been a master at cooking, but it brought her to her knees each time. Before she could open her eyes, a hand was on her hip and his lips were on hers. Theia felt her heart skip, her hands rising to his hair and face. She didn't know how he could wipe away her fears when he kissed her. It seemed so simple.

His beard scratched her palm as she held his cheek, letting his tongue find hers. Nyx leaned forward and Theia stumbled back into the counter. His hips rolled, his already hardening length pressing into her stomach. She moaned and caught his hair in her fist, wishing he'd lift her onto the counter and take her there.

Nyx pulled away, nipping at her bottom lip before catching his breath. Theia didn't open her eyes. She let her head fall to his chest, hands slipping down to clutch his linen shirt. She wanted to stay within those moments of ecstasy. Opening her eyes and returning to reality was sickening.

"I think I'd like to skip dinner," Nyx murmured against her hair. Theia forced out a small laugh. She would like to skip everything else entirely. She'd like to lay in bed with him until their bodies withered away. It was the easiest way; getting lost in each other and never allowing themselves to have the chance to ruin it.

Theia opened her mouth to respond, but it seemed their stomachs growled at the same time. That time, her small laugh was genuine as she lifted her head and met his eyes. He was so beautiful, it made her smile fall. Blue eyes so soft, dark beard carving his jaw, dark curls falling over his brows. The one thing she loved most about him was his straight nose, the smallest bump along the center. She wanted to kiss it.

"I think we should probably eat," Nyx spoke softly, his knuckles grazing her cheek as he brushed her hair back. Theia shuddered before nodding, feeling emptiness become superior within her as he stepped away. Would he still hurt her if she let him love her?

Nyx plated the food and handed one to Theia before he went to uncork a bottle of wine. She placed it on the counter and leaned onto her arm, poking at the food with her fork. She had no appetite, but Theia wouldn't be surprised that she'd suddenly find endless hunger if Nyx fed her. A glass of white wine was sat in front of her, a kiss to her hair. Her eyes fell closed as she sighed.

"Are you not hungry? Did I imagine the sound your stomach just made?" Nyx asked as he pulled his own plate beside hers. Theia met his eyes and forced a smile.

"No, I just don't feel well," she answered. It was the truth- anxiety and dread sickened her. Nyx straightened, his hand going to her waist. Theia sucked in a breath as he turned her around and lifted her onto her counter, his lips brushing hers.

"Let's make a deal, pretty girl. I take a bite, you take a bite, and I'll reward you with a kiss. When we're finished, you decide what comes next. What do you think?"