67. Theia

It was a dream, it was such a dream. Nyx's hands shook with hers as Theia held him. He was crying. Did he know? Nyx stared down at her with his lips parted. Something like awe and admiration swirled in those glorious eyes- with those tears that collected in the hairs of his beard. He was so beautiful, it made Theia's chest hurt. The suit he wore fit him like a blade in a sheath, steel and sharp beneath ornate designs.

"... beneath the Mother's watchful eyes. Her glory shines upon the two beyond me to bless their union."

Theia jerked, her heart pounding as she looked over at the cloaked female. How long had she been speaking? Theia snapped her eyes back to Nyx. She couldn't determine what she felt or why her pulse raced. Nyx's mouth closed, his chest rising with a deep inhale. His fingers tightened around hers as he tore his gaze away to look upon the Priestess. She spoke still, but Theia had no idea what she said. Her eyes couldn't look away from Nyx.

The suit he wore was immaculate. It fit him in all the right places. Theia's mouth went dry at the toned chest peeking from between the folds of the silver shirt. Her fingers wanted to trace the pattern on his skin, to make their own mark. Nyx's thumb dusted over her knuckles, making Theia glance up at him. He was smiling, and Gods, it was such a gift. His eyes still glimmered with unshed tears but his lips were curved up in a glorious way. It made her own mouth curve.

"I present you to the Mother as one. As her children, you rise in the shadow of her greatness to continue her story throughout the centuries..."

The Priestess still spoke of her worship. Theia was curious how their prayers went, but yet again her focus was stolen. Nyx tugged her a little closer, just enough to feel the warmth of his body.

"You are absolutely breathtaking."

His words echoed in her mind. A soft caress of his love in the depths of her soul. Her smile widened and Theia wanted so desperately to fall into his arms. There was no need to be nervous, yet Theia still felt that flutter of panic within her. She had taken Zenova's advice to drink a bit of whiskey to calm her nerves, but that advice didn't follow through.

She had such a wonderful night with the females. They'd worn their comfiest of lounge clothes and drank wine. They told stories, laughed, and whispered secrets that seemed to be forgotten in the whirl of things. She had cried in Feyre's arms when the others had gone to bed. She felt loved; accepted and cared for. It was beyond a relationship with Nyx at this point. His family was hers. There was no more fighting, no more chasing another meal or screaming at a silent mother smelling of urine and waste. Theia had cried because her fight was over.

She hadn't realized another tear had slipped free until Nyx's hand rose from hers and brushed her cheek. Theia lifted her chin, feeling his hand settle on her throat. She hoped he was listening to the Priestess, because she had no idea where they were in the ceremony. Perhaps it was over, because his eyes scanned her face again before he opened his mouth.

"Theia," his voice broke, his hand gliding up her throat to hold her jaw. "I've loved you far longer than I realized. When we were nothing more than children that wanted something good, I fell for you. I fell for you in a way I never thought I could. I've loved you for centuries, and I'll love you for a thousand more. I have never wanted something so badly than to have you at my side. I'd throw away my life just to have you here."

A tear fell down his cheek. Theia wanted to kiss it away. She wanted to bring him to her chest and tell him that she knew of his love. She felt it each day.

"I am so fucking grateful that you chose me. I didn't deserve you, and I don't think I ever will. I don't care, though, because you're here and you're about to be my wife. It doesn't matter anymore, none of the past does. We are going to build a future that we could have only ever dreamed of. You and I, we will build this court like you've always wanted. You will rule it with me at your side, and you will hold me through it all. I want it all with you, Theia. I want to run this court, to watch our children grow and play, to travel the courts and find one to purchase land in. I'll do it all, I'll do anything. I just want you there."