1.4 Awake

For what felt like eternity, vibrant green snake-like eyes finally shone unfocused at the setting sun. Shaking off the centuries' old debris off her clothes; now made from her own flesh, Kyoko listened for the familiar yet odd sounds around her.

What once was an abandoned temple has now turned into rubble. The sound of cicadas filling the air with their rhythmic chorus, blending with the distant hum of the wind rustling through the overgrown foliage.

Kyoko's senses sharpened as she took in her surroundings, her eyes adjusting to the fading light. Crumbling stone walls stood as mere remnants of the sacred structure it once was. Vines and wildflowers intertwined with the fallen debris, nature reclaiming its territory in the absence of human presence. As Kyoko stood amidst the wreckage, a mix of emotions flooded her ancient being.

"System, how long have I been asleep?"

[....It's been over 200 years host.]

"200 years..... how's Yoriichi and Uta?"

[Uta passed before Yorichii did. Their child, Masayori, past away without having kids. Yorichii had encountered his brother, Kokushibo, before he succumbed to his blade like the plot described. Regarding your task, the only villains that have been a vital point of the story that are currently alive are...]

"Muzan, Kokushibo, and Hantengu."

[That's right host. You can eliminate the rest of the demons if so pleased.]

Kyoko stretched her body, feeling her awakening power coursing through her veins. "Has Hantengu turned into a demon yet?"

[No, not quite.]

Kyoko hummed in acknowledgement as she received the coordinates of the soon to be demon. "Can you diagnose this body to see it's abilities?"

[Your blood art allows you to cast a domain onto your victims. What you can do in there is still unknown.]

"That's very useful." Running into dense greens, she followed the mind map produced by the system. With the system's assistance, Kyoko's supernatural muscle control and strength allowed her to traverse the treacherous terrain effortlessly. She leaped over fallen logs, ducked under low-hanging branches, and swiftly maneuvered through the obstacles that lay in her path.

As she reached the designated location, Kyoko slowed her pace, her senses attuned to any signs of Hantengu. She inhaled deeply, searching for the distinct scent that would indicate his presence. Within moments, her keen sense of smell detected a faint taint of darkness. She followed the scent, her eyes narrowing with focus.

The demon's transformation was imminent, and it was her duty to put an end to it. As she closed in on Hantengu's location, she pondered about the possibilities on how she could 'reform' Hantengu without killing him.

Let's test the domain first!

Her eyes lit up with the thought of testing her limits. Seeing a figure ahead, her nails glinted in the moonlight as her smile widened. On her toes, she flipped over the Hantengu and whispered:

"Domain expansion: Omniverse"

Silence engulfed them both as they came face to face in an ocean of white.

"Hhhk!"

The half transformed demon fumbled as he tries to hide himself with his limbs.

"There's no place to hide, where are you going?"

Her taunts vibrated through the space as she twirled around the bundle of clothes.

"Y'know, if you grew more powerful, you would have been able to break out of here."

System, do I have a restraining spell or even something that would keep him here?

[Freezing time in your domain may work. However, this will cause your mana to drain periodically.]

That'll be great!

With that, the demoness brought her hands to her eyes, only allowing one eye visible. With a smirk, she whispered to the cowering figure like a breath of ghost.

Oyasumi , Hantengu.

Extra --------------------------------------

"Hey Uta, how have you been?"

A figure stood amongst the spider lilies as they swayed gently under the moonlight. With lips stained with blue, Kyoko began to destroy the remaining flowers decorating her friend's grave.

"Forgive me, but I'll need to destroy these. I'm surprised they've never found this spot in the original timeline. Is Yoriichi with you? Have both of you forgiven me for running away? And for lying to you?"

Kyoko shook her head, causing her short Sakura pink hair to flutter. All that she could remember from them was their distinct red and orange outfits and the gentle aura around them, always intertwined.

"It's been nearly 300 years since we've met. Crazy isn't it?"

She watched as the remaining flowers started to either away as the sun peeked through the horizon. The burning that haunted Kyoko for centuries was no more.

"This time I'll stay a bit longer than usual. You won't mind, right?"

The wind whisked the rest of the withering flowers away as both soul and demoness sat side by side, watching the sun rise together one last time.

Author's Note:
If you're reading this, I appreciate you.