1.15 - The Corps

"Ubuyashiki, I need your help."

She didn't know if this was worth the risk anymore. Kyoko looked at the man protected by layers of swords, all pointed towards her. The moon cast an eerie glow over the desolate landscape, amplifying the tension in the air. Ubuyashiki, a stoic figure with an ancient wisdom etched into his expression, regarded Kyoko with a calm intensity. His piercing gaze seemed to penetrate her soul, as if assessing the depth of her desperation.

"Why should I help you?" Ubuyashiki spoke with a voice that resonated like the gleam of each sword pointed at her, a silent testament to the power he held despite being the most frail person in the corps. "You are the very thing we promised to kill."

Kyoko took a deep breath, her eyes never leaving Ubuyashiki's. She knew convincing him would be no easy task, considering the centuries-old enmity between demonkind and the Demon Slayer Corps. The chilling wind swept through the barren landscape, carrying the weight of her plea.

"Ubuyashiki, I understand the history, but circumstances have changed. There's a new threat emerging, one that endangers the very foundation of the Corps itself," Kyoko pleaded.

Ubuyashiki remained silent, his gaze unwavering. The moon continued its silent vigil as the seconds stretched into an agonizing silence. Kyoko decided to reveal the information she had gathered, hoping it would be enough to sway the leader of the Demon Slayer Corps.

"I've stumbled upon the blue spider lily."

"Impossible!" A voice cried. Ubuyashiki's gaze shifted from the demoness to the newcomer who had uttered the word. Rengoku, the Flame Hashira, stood tall with his fiery mane cascading down his shoulders. His eyes, ablaze with determination, locked onto Ubuyashiki's.

"Impossible, you say? Rengoku, do you doubt the veracity of this revelation?" Ubuyashiki inquired, his voice carrying a quiet authority.

Rengoku hesitated for a moment, then spoke with a tone of unwavering conviction. "Forgive my interruption, Oyakata-sama. It's just that the blue spider lily is considered a myth, a legend. To hear of its existence is perplexing, and the implications are staggering."

Kyoko seized the opportunity to address Rengoku directly, her gaze meeting his intense stare. "I understand your skepticism, Hashira Rengoku. I, too, had my doubts until I stumbled upon one. The blue spider lily is real, and its power is the catalyst for the impending disaster."

Rengoku studied Kyoko for a moment, then turned his attention back to Oyakata-sama. "If this is true, then we must act swiftly to prevent the demons from obtaining such a formidable weapon. Ubuyashiki-sama, I believe we should investigate this matter further, for the sake of our duty and the safety of humanity."

"Why do you trust her now, Rengoku?" Ubuyashiki's question hung in the air, prompting Rengoku to offer a solemn explanation. "It's not about trusting her, Oyakata-sama. It's just...."

"Spill it, Rengoku." A masked figure stepped in, the blue tint of his sword revealing who he was. "You're hiding something."

".... there once was a former Hashira; the creator and teacher of the first breathing styles-"

"His name was Yoriichi Tsugikuni." Rengoku paused, noticing the wistful expression on Kyoko's face as she interjected. 

"...so that's the sun-breather's name, I assume," Rengoku's tone carrying a reverence for the legendary figure. "His legacy has shaped the very essence of the Demon Slayer Corps. His teachings, his techniques... they are the foundation upon which our strength is built. Always behind him was a girl who soon went missing after his family got attacked."

Kyoko chuckled, a flicker of nostalgia mingling with determination in her eyes. "Yoriichi's always been the one who's worried that his family would get attacked. I merely took that burden off of him."