40

•Chapter Forty•

•Lane•

My pained groans were all that were heard as I lay in the uncomfortable hospital bed with my eyes clamped shut to somehow forget what was really happening.

At 1 am this morning, me and Rafe we're laying in bed and all of a sudden I felt my bed beneath me become wet.

I quickly got changed while Rafe frantically grabbed our packed bags and rushed to throw on a pair of shorts and a loose button-down. I tried hard not to laugh at him as he reminded me of what a surfer-boy dressed as.

I stayed calm for most of the ride but baby boy was moving all around the place as he was surely ready to make his arrival.

My sweaty hand was clutched in Rafes who stood beside the hospital bed with worried tears in his eyes.

If I wasn't in pain from the contractions, I'd definitely be laughing at how clueless he was at the birth experience.

The past few weeks were filled with setting up a room in my parent's house as a nursery. It was decorated with neutral colors and other stuff as I didn't want to go all out until we moved into our own house, something I needed to discuss with Rafe soon.

We had spent a lot of time with Topper and Sarah due to me not being able to spend most of my time with them like I used to. Then we went on a few trips before baby boy arrives.

Now, in the hospital, I was ready to get him out. My doctor, Jennifer, had told me about an hour ago that I was 7cm dilated.

I found myself turning and glancing at Rafe after the contraction ended, seeing the worried look written across his face.

"What's wrong? Other than the fact that every few seconds I'm a step closer to breaking your hand" I chuckled, grabbing the bottle of water and taking a gulp out of it as I stared at him.

"I just hate seeing you in pain, I wish you could give it all to me" He breathed out, rubbing his eyes to stray away his tears.

"Just try to think about our baby for right now, he'll be here in less than an hour hopefully" I smiled, earning a small one from him in response.

"I'm ready to have him here so you can take a break" He huffed.

"Babe, there's no breaks when you have a kid" I laughed.

He smirked, "Say that again"

"What?" I asked, quirking an eyebrow up as I leaned my head back against the pillow.

"Babe" He repeated and I rolled my eyes. "What about it?" I asked.

"You never call me that, I think it's cute" He shrugged and I sighed as I felt another contraction starting up again.

"Alright babe, there's another contraction coming again" I informed him, earning a frown in response.

As I laid my free hand against my huge stomach, I heard the faint sound of the door opening. I never glanced up from my position but listened as I heard my doctor's voice echo in the room.

"How are you doing, honey? Do you mind if I check you again?" She asked and I sent her a thumbs up while keeping my eyes clamped shut and my chin resting against my chest.

I felt as she moved the blanket aside, glancing at my cervix before letting out a breath and calling the nurses in.

"Looks like baby boy will be making his arrival in the next few minutes. Are you ready, mama?" She enthusiastically asked as the nurses piled in and began setting everything up while Jennifer rolled around on her stool.