Obsessed

Porcelain teacup from the east of the empire shattered into fragments as a soft, sweet voice that was peculiarly shrill at the moment echoed in the garden.

"What did you say?"

"M-Miss...Lady Layla has been asked to get engaged to Duke Valentine by the orders of the Duke." After that, the tea party that was going on with ladies from several noble houses did not truly matter as the woman got up from her seat with graceful movements, gentle eyes expressing her apologies as she excused herself. Lady Marianna despite being a sickly person controlled the aristocracy through iron reins of her will and had the high society within the palm of her hands.

The way to the Everdale castle was somewhat blurry and as soon as Marianna arrived at the mansion she first expressed her desire to be taken to Layla who was preparing to leave for the rendezvous with Duke Valentine that was arranged without her wishes.

The woman with dark blusish irises had a fiery temper but a weak constitution thus she huffed and panted as it took her quite some effort to cross the hallways and knock on the door that nowadays did not open just like the heart of its owner that was closed and sealed. Previously Layla visited Marianna every single day without any delay and they talked for long hours but for some days now there were no movements at all and Marianna was kept waiting everyday.

"Sister" When no one answered Marianna slipped inside on her own, coming face to face with the partially dressed female whose entire being was as pale as snow as if there was no blood in her veins, some said that Layla looked sickly but in reality her temperament truly resembled a flower, thus fairly said Layla Everdale was one of the most beautiful women of the Avesta Empire just like her deceased mother whose beauty knew no bounds.

"Is it Duke Valentine?" The question was so abrupt that even the seamestress who was measuring the dress and the maids froze for a moment as if to confirm that whether it was okay to continue or should they leave the two sisters alone.

"It is whom Duke Everdale says." Layla answered without giving her a single look and continued, yet the cold attitude might have produced some wrath thus Marianna walked forward and smiled.

"So it is as such." After contemplating for quiet some time she smiled gently and bowed.

"Then I will excuse myself Layla, you must be getting late." When Layla watched Marianna leaving as such without making much effort to talk she could not help but think...what had happened after her death in previous life, did Marianna married Jeremiah and lived a happy life? What happened to her father and brothers?_______________________________________________

The tapping of feminine fingers on the table was somewhat inconsistent, Jeremiah had not shown up to the cafe that they were supposed to meet at, was it his way of expressing his dissatisfaction? It would not be anything new either ways.

In her previous life he had done worse things so this was almost a child's play. He knew that she was being bullied by his castle's maids when they gave her stale food but never interfered and he himself became a part of that lot and locking her inside her room most of the days when they stayed together.

She would not let him have the last laugh in this life.

"Miss Layla!" The butler of Duke Valentine's castle that she had known to be quite gentle in previous life arrived instead of his master and bowed down infront of her.

"Is he not coming?What an idiot." The man was stunned into silence for some moments before he tried to explain.

"Lady.....my master's carriage overturned in a river while he was on his way to meet you."

It was quiet a surprise but why would it matter to her? There was not an ounce of pity that was displayed on her face as the woman took a deep breath and out of curtsey expressed her condolences.