Invitation to the Banquet

Emperor of Avesta had sent a portrait of the lady who expressed her desire to marry the Grand Emperor of Ardos with a negotiation deal, but along with it there was also a very personal letter that was solely addressed to Icarus and not to his council that was seated in a military camp at the border of Avesta.

The cabinet read out what was stated in the agreement- that Princess Layla, the daughter of Duke Everdale was a very dignified woman and hundreds of other such things, along with it there was a dowry offered befitting that of an imperial princess in exchange of familial relationship based on a matrimony.

All in all, the king of Avesta wanted Layla to be married off well- duke Valentine had tendencies which were in the process of turning abusive, Damien was too worried about the duchy's pride and his sons were incompetent to decipher human emotions.

It was better to be Ardos's queen than Avesta's daughter.

Icarus unknown to such things paid little attention to the layman details of the peace treaty offered and silently gazed at the lilac envelope that was sealed with dried flowers and then at the portrait that was kept infront of him.

When he was still a child, once while exploring the mountains of Zeyphyr, he had witnessed a fragile blush-pink wildflower blooming in brutal frost.

There was no vegetation that could survive that harsh winter yet the goddess maybe loved that one wildflower to the extent of giving it the strength to not only survive the catastrophe but also blossom so marvelously

There was no vegetation that could survive that harsh winter yet the goddess maybe loved that one wildflower to the extent of giving it the strength to not only survive the catastrophe but also blossom so marvelously. Icarus had then gently scooped the tiny life out of the snow and filled it in his pocket, taking it home and planting it in his garden.

The princess he saw last night was starkly similar to that wildflower, she was at a very precarious position and had known that survival in Ardos was next to impossible. Royal families were a graveyard of those who wished to sit on the highest throne but were mixed into dust before they could do so.

Her effort was akin to what he had made all those years ago.

Giving all of one's soul because one had little hope of future so there was no choice but to fight till death knocked on your door.

After thinking for long he opened the envelope and saw that it was an invitation of an imperial banquet arranged for Layla where in a handwritten letter she had urged him to come.

Damien Everdale who has arrogance deep seated into his heart how can he give away his daughter to Ardos, this was a thing that the council refused to believe.

"She is not a commoner or an insignificant noble, she is the daughter of a duke that contributed to the founding of the empire, then why would Avesta arrange for such a person?"

"Can't the minister see that she herself came forward to seek this marriage. Does she wants to be the queen maybe its her ambition."

"The people would not accept her sire."

"Your majesty the princess must be a spy, if we are not careful enough she could bring ruin to Ardos."

"I have heard she had an engagement and she lives with her fiancée, god forbids she is not suitable-" Glazed honey irises when finally looked up, the hall was stunned into silence and the council dared not speak haphazardly anymore.

"Diana was it?" The marquis that hurled the last suggestion at Icarus was greeted by the question to which he bowed his head giving his affirmation. Diana and Icarus were previously said to be a match before the Queen mother discarded any such notions.

"Replying to your highness this person's daughter is named Diana."

"Since I, the Emperor who reigns the throne of Zeyphyr and wears the crown of Ardos, cannot marry Princess Layla according to your beleifs and must seek your permission then I must marry off your daughter to the King of Avesta to seek further cooperation."

Imperial law in Ardos worked differently than in other nations for Zeyphyr clan which had almost perished previously stood on the shoulders of Icarus and there was not a rule of argument or contemplation.

The monarch was the father of the nation and must be obeyed at all costs.

"My liege it was my fault for I was too presumptuous, begging for his highness's forgiveness." The man sat on his knees and bowed with his head on ground fearing for his life.

"Marquis Joham beyond words I listen to your intentions. Since you wish for power then I as your master, how can I be negligent to your needs.

You are to be deployed to the northern frontiers along with your family as soon as you see my wedding procession.

Control your ambitions because if I was forced to subdue them, it would not end well for your clan." And just like that the tranquility inside the place was maintained when the marquis was driven out of the council.

"Queen of Icarus can have flaws but the Empress of Ardos cannot,

Prepare to depart for the capital of Avesta."

The masculine male again looked at the portrait again and almost couldn't help his eyes soften.

_______________________________________________________________

Jeremiah went to secondary mansion in the morning itself in hopes to wish Layla and also apologize for his harsh words when the maids informed him that she was summoned by her majesty the queen.

The man had brought her a bouquet of roses along with a diamond necklace that was a family heirloom, it was passed down from generation to generations of Valentine.

Truth to be spoken the elders seldom took part in the Valentine household anymore after his parent's death and could care less if there was any heir or not since they all had long took their shares of wealth and left the Valentines to their own fate.

It wasn't anyone that told him and Layla to stay together but his own greed for which he lied. He hated how indifferent she was to him and his feelings towards her yet at the same time he did not want to treat her badly. That day what he said had backfired but all he wished for was a child birthed by her then why was she so raged about it.

Jeremiah sighed and was ready to leave when he noticed something making him freeze in his path. Why were the things that she had brought personally were gone from the mansion?