Chapter One

June's first realization was that perhaps she had merely passed in a fire of which she could partially recollect. Her second epiphany was determined by a sweep of her surroundings. It was decidedly so that she walked the afterlife but any reasoning as to why was the farthest thing from her muddled sense of self.

It was a reasonable explanation as to what had happened and where she currently found herself; the only explanation her distracted mind could fabricate as she peered on at an otherworldly scene before her.

No other mortal was present to provide an answer to what she sought, or even provide her terrified bones comfort.

She lied still on a thick, moss-woven log in confused misdirection. It almost looked as if the fallen tree was crafted to be a bed, with raised vegetation providing a decently sized hump for her to rest an ache-stricken skull. Whether it be fortune or intention, the cushioning came as a relief.

The walls of her head echoed with any remaining damage from smoke inhalation and her throat stung with every gulp that forced inflamed and irritated tonsils the smallest amount of friction. She wanted nothing more than to drink from the spring running crystal clear water across the West of her designated clearing.

However, warnings from her mother would restrict the needs and desires of her body. Recollections of threats regarding illness and even death circulate any water to be found in nature. Even running, it was not to be trusted.

Sickness that targeted man attacked in many forms, waiting in all crevices of the Earth for a chance to strike.

Whether it be bug or infection; venom or poison, June knew to stay away. However, her gut felt at ease with where she was at and any resources extending themself in her direction.

No evil seemed capable of residing in water as beautiful and transparent as the sparkling ripples before her. June still resisted despite the soil's whisper of reassurance. Even with all direction leading her to hydrate, she stood strong in her will.

This did not frustrate those of whom were whispering, only prompted their creativity to expand beyond consolations through the airy lightness of a Sylph.

The attention of June was not difficult to be possessed by water spirits as the spring began to collect crystal drops just above the surface. The show began just as her skull was rested right, gazing at the sun beams guiding their hues to cast golden brilliance over the pool and further a mouth-drying temptation.

The process lured oxygen from the water and released it atop many gallons that imprisoned it, making way for a higher vibrational pocket to escape in accordance.

It began as a bubbling sound, which was what first drew June to weakly stand from her place on the log.

Upon approaching a body of bubbles, droplets the size of golf balls rose further, the first one to break surface ignited fear due to its seemingly obscure nature. Only obscure to one who was calculatingly developed in an obstinate culture.

With little concern for her dirtied gown, she lowered herself onto a dampened earth and peered into mystics only the West had to offer.

Rather than holding an initial fear of the drop, June's curious finger extended itself to brush the poised liquid as softly as her roughened and tainted senses could allow.

She blinked into the tiny window of a reflection the orb offered, earning a blink in return. However, rather than coming to meet the familiar color of brown her almond eyes would normally bear back from reflective surfaces, the deepest shade of blue shone in place.

Just as the difference came to be a recognition, it was too late and the projection lost visibility as she skimmed the floating sphere.

Compacted water lost its composition and fell back into its collective, leaving June to convince herself the power dehydration and reflected sun rays can hold over the senses.