Chapter Six

With their continuation came a lighthearted feel regarding both land and life. The forest was lit with golden sun beams, which shifted in color as it bounced off colorful fragments of its counterparts.

June clapped her hands once the light show began. Amethysts and floral patterns, earthy tones and glimmers of moss, golds and silvers reflected vibrantly, casting glowing illuminations to play with the strains of brown hair.

Skor waved the playful lights from his bubble, not interested in activity unrelated to his mission—getting June to the Tree of Life.

In return, the lights pursued June in full, fluttering and shifting in luminescent shimmers to circle her aura. The light humming they sang was then audible to her ears, unlike before. The blue in which she basked was an open invitation for all.

It was a magnetic connection, flowers and grass reached for contact with every step she took. Colors followed her, kissing any sense of fragility and innocence.

Skor still waved away the flitting mystics, but they hovered over him more so than before as his stony exterior began to drop. How could one not find joy in a newfound harmony of their land?

He for one could not suppress an excited skip in his step.

With the ruckus came a curious bunch of dryads. They too could not fight their attraction toward a growing excitement with creation. Beautiful figures solidified, draped across branches of their oaks and pines, sitting criss-crossed on the earthy floor, and dancing in the midst of colorful spirits with their high-spirited tunes.

June peered past the engaging hues to watch their materialization in amazement once more. The magic struck her guarded cerebral cortex, chipping the dividing barriers blockading it from the subconscious.

The corners of her mouth tilted to a toothy smile, met with the most enthusiastic of waves as a gesture of grateful acknowledgment.

She skipped to catch up with a quick-paced Skor, who did not slow despite his new-found jolly mood.

"Do you think we could stop for a rest?" She asked, inching closely behind him. "And maybe a wash? My feet are filthy."

Her observation did not go unnoticed as she came to a stop and wriggled her toes. He too halted and faced her, directing his sight to discover the truth in her statement. They were decorated with mud and moss and leaf, as were her ankles and beyond, just below the knees.

He felt pity in the chamber of his belly, rattling a stone-hard gut. He should not forget of her vulnerability in terms of age and origin as she did not have means of self groom. He was to care for her and he recognized them that he was doing poorly.

"My apologies, young miss." He cleared his throat and refocused his sight to the right, "Water can always be found West."

His gruff voice did not offer much more in terms of details, but he did begin his walk West. June followed, with little understanding but as much awareness as she needed to connect the dots as to where his steps would lead them.

"We will arrive soon. While you cleanse, I will make you up a fit." His kindness was stiff, not quite mastering the soft tone he was aiming for.

This interaction was observed with interest and slight amusement. The community would be speaking and hearing of this for many days to come.

A sight it was to see the dwarf direct gentle authority—or rather attempt to direct gentle authority.

Junes excitement could only grow with the thought of bathing and getting a fresh set of clothing.