Chapter Fifteen

It was a time of urgency as the colorful environment began to distort and two hurried footsteps secured land that had not yet been decayed by a growing presence ready to rot.

June did not know why the world reacted so extremely to the black dotting of their atmosphere, but she felt Mother burn with each tree strangled of life by the putrid waves that radiated toxicity. Green grass began to blacken, leaving a trail of death-kissed life and stinging in the base of her spine.

The origin of a freshly dominated grounds spread like disease, leeching off the opportunity to feed from a plane that existed much more simply than the complexities of an irate web humanity had weaved. Once the threshold had been consumed, it would only progress more quickly as it ascended each plane and fed from the God that ruled creations in which lurkers of black holes sought.

To delve into a mortal mind was to rearrange pieces they had not gotten together into an encryption of chaos; to fuse patterns into a host of unaware stubbornness.

Now they had conquered the blueprint of Mother's most intricate algorithms, acting on a growth that She could not deflect as it consumed all she was from inside.

The creatures of higher understanding regarding  Her world lacked one thing humanity mastered; a capacity for war. The unnatural feedings upon precious life forms was the initiation of a greater violence.

However, this would prove to be a battle of divinity. War had no place in Mother's cosmos, nor the universe on any higher spectrum.

The nature of ridding another force from the plane in which they walked was a debunked idea as there occurred no natural fatality to one's essence; merely a misdirect.

Only a world detached from these laws could be faced with the loss of self by something so simple as death, merely because they had not secured the solidity of core identity over their few years of flesh.

It was a flash of light and feel of heat on their backs that urged them to slow and look to a rising barrier of fire. The red-tinted gold pierced any prisms to intercept its path, including a determined black that seeped its way over dirt and trickled upward to challenge the burning element. The opposites stretched toward the sky in their expansion of offense and defense.

"Mother aides the salamanders in shielding our land, it is best for us to hurry while we are under their protection." Skor spoke, looking to a distracted June standing aside him. Her entranced eyes analyzed the familiar patterns of flames that formed into a thick wall.

"Indeed." She spoke, still not all focused on what was said.

"Let us go." Was promoted once more by an anxious dwarf, clearing his throat and watching the girl regain focus on their purpose.

"Yes, let us go." Her voice echoed distantly in the chambers of a hollow memory.

He pursued the trail first, pushing himself to a manageable sprint for the both of them. She was quick to follow.

Neither lost momentum nor faltered in step as their journey began to stretch the limited capacity of their physical capabilities.

Beyond a nature that deflated and lost all color was a grim gray to dominate their oxygen in warning.

It threatened to choke June as she drew breaths from a world that suffered invasion. She glanced back, relieved to see fire holding it's challenge against the tar-like substance behind its shield. Though they still seemed to be affected by such a substantial shift in their plane, the unfocused multi-dimensional visitor reached multiple worlds simultaneous to their own. The waves of imprisonment nagged at the fingertips of Skor's mind, introducing itself to the soft pinks associated with a vital part of his vessel's function. He was not to be distracted by such a nuisance of this pull as his balance would prove to be a force of its own.