Chapter Fourteen

Clawed fingers rested on either side of her soft face, warm to the touch and surging with familiar electricity. Her teeth vibrated and gums tingled in response to the sensation, face muscles subjected to a numbness that began to spread.

Low wattages in her brain found and welcomed the current that Lula introduced to her. The Siren's palms flattened against the mortal head tightly, securing the connection between their two beings for an eternity. The gyri and sulci burned with magnetic shocks, fusing both boiling and icy waters to dilute a thick blood.

It was a physical struggle to keep hold of the branch as her muscles contracted and fingers found themselves stuck in a pattern of locking and flexing. Sparks of white and purple wound around her joints and filled every gray area within her brain.

Through the gritting of teeth and squinting of sore eyes, June clutched the branch with as much strength as she could muster, directing her focus to higher purpose. It was only a moment more before the water began to move around them, a whirlpool of color and current whipping brown hair wildly until the pulsing in her head stopped and the bark boiled to nothing. The fiery touch of her palm burned the wood to an ash that was quick to join the pull of water, despite the properties nature proposed for elements.

The atmosphere tightened further, squeezing until the area she held gave way and pushed her to the surface, following her bubble that had escaped the depths prior to the mighty force of sea. She did not know how far down they had guided her, but even with the intense speed at which the water thrusted her, it took many moments of pressure before her face broke free from the hold of an element of intensity.

She did not expect water to burn as it had, and could only wonder what fire would greet her with. It did not concern her as she distantly knew of the experience as well as her prior blueprint to execute such a process.

It was a change of scenery that occurred before her hazy perception as she rose from water and assumed a standing position on land. Rocks beneath her were seen through lengthy tunnels that blurred to colorful smudges. It was bright, too bright for any sort of visual recovery.

Still reeling from the ache of strengthened currents and heightened brainwaves, she was sluggish to adjust to a fresh oxygen and the lightness of air.

Her knees gave way, threatening to be the cause of a greater ache as her unsupported body was saved from the fate of a hard impact against rock. Mother was gentle with easing her to the ground as Her distracted dwarf splashed in water and basked in the sun a short distance away.

He was quick to recognize the shift in energy, though, and eyes became alert as they scanned and found the girl just as she was safely lowered.

"June!" He exclaimed, hurriedly moving through shallow water and hurrying to her side. His worry for her was not satisfied as she raised a thumb in the air to assure her well-being. It was not very convincing by any means.

She brought the hand to rest on her hectic chest as it pulled oxygen in large amounts to regulate strained lungs. Her eyes were closed, moving rapidly in assimilation to function and nature.

"Can I assist in anyway?" He questioned, resting on his knees aside her recovering body. He analyzed the distress in her features, but could see the last remaining gill faintly sink back into the muscle and bone of her skull.

"All is well—" A small cough forced her to wheeze the next words, "I am well."

She rasped, choking on the last of her sentence before weakly lifting herself to a sitting position, eyes still sealed shut. "It's just an adjustment, from down there to up here."

Her voice weakly explained her state, reassurance that it was not damage that needed tending as eyes were met with piercing sunlight.

She flinched eyelids closed, but opened them once more upon the realization of an artificial shade.