Chapter 41

Ivanna sat in her car, drumming her fingers against the steering wheel as she debated in her head whether she should walk up to the front door or not. It's been a few months since the altercation with Embry and Sam and she hasn't talked to the younger boy since. Ivanna missed having her friend around, but she never showed it around Sam because she didn't want him to think she cared for him in any other way than friendship.

She finally got out of the car and went and knocked on the front door, waiting for the door to swing open and Embry would be standing there, but he wasn't, once again.

"Is he home?" Ivanna asked his mom.

The older woman sadly shook her head, "He hasn't come back yet, but once he does, you'll be the first person I tell." Ivanna could tell she was worried sick about her son, so she pulled her into a hug and let her cry out her emotions.

Tiffany Call didn't have a lot of people around, nobody understood her the way that she needed, and Embry was the only one she could tell her feelings too, but now since he was nowhere around all she had was Ivanna to lean on.

The two of them sat on the couch with a large pizza on the coffee table in front of them, watching reruns of That 70's Show, wrapped up in their patterned blankets. Ivanna knew that Ms.Call just didn't want to be lonely so she would stop by at least a couple times a week to make sure she had some company to help distract herself from worrying about her son and why he upped and left.

"So, how are things with Sam?" Tiffany set her plate down onto the table and picked up her glass of soda, eyeing her over the rim as she took a drink, giving Ivanna an all knowing look.

Ivanna couldn't contain her smile as she thought about her man, "Things are really good actually, sometimes if he gets too caught up with work and can't make it for dinner, he'll send one of the guys out to the house to eat with me so I'm not having dinner alone."

"I never would've expected that side of Sam, I mean he was sweet to Leah and everything but the way the two ended just left all of us confused. Well maybe not everyone, just me." She looked sad as she thought about how no one stays around her or fills her in on the secrets amongst the tribe.

Ivanna placed a hand over hers comfortingly, "Well, even after Embry gets back, I'll still come over all the time so we can swap stories." The older lady definitely liked to hear that with the way her face lit up in excitement, she was glad to have Ivanna there to help keep her distracted from the negative things, but also happy because Ivanna didn't pity her or judge her for the choices she made in life.

A loud knock sounded on the old wooden door, startling the two women who looked at each other with wide eyes. Tiffany Call ran to the front door and swung it open just hoping to see her son but instead was greeted with Sam Uley.

Ivanna wasn't far behind, hoping it was the younger boy too but it was the last person she expected to see. She was stunned for a second, feeling guilty and ashamed that she wasn't telling Sam the truth about where she would disappear too.

"Sam." Tiffany breathed out and forced a smile on her face, trying to mask her disappointment.

"Hi, Ms.Call, I was wondering if Embry was home by chance."

"I'm sorry Sam, but no he's not here, he hasn't been home in months." Ivanna could tell she was on the verge of tearing up again, so she stepped up and laid a hand on her shoulder, letting her know she was there as she moved towards Sam.

"Ivanna?" Sam was taken aback, "What are you doing here?"

"I just stopped by to visit Ms.Call, I figured she would want some company as I was needing it too since you have been patrolling so much lately. Just a girls night is all." Ivanna smiled as she took a glance out the corner of her eye to see the older lady a little puzzled but then masked it quickly.

"She's right, we were just finishing up eating some pizza, but there's still some left if you would like to stay and eat." The older mother offered kindly, knowing the man wouldn't stay.

"No, it's okay. I was just checking to see if Embry was home is all, but I should be heading home now, long day." Sam made it short, sparing a glance towards his girlfriend before making his way down the porch stairs and back towards the truck.

"I think I should go too, it was nice sharing dinner and watching shows with you Ms.Call. Thank you for having me over." Ivanna pulled her into a hug and the lady didn't hesitate to reciprocate the feeling.

"I should be the one thanking you for coming over all the time and don't forget to fill me in on the details." She motioned towards her and Sam.

"I won't." Ivanna winked before following after her man, climbing into the truck where he held the door open for her, waiting until she was buckled before shutting it behind her and making way towards the drivers side.

He didn't say anything as he pulled out of the driveway, leaving Ivanna to break the silence, "So how was patrol? Jared didn't cause too much trouble did he?" She aimed to joke, to try and get a laugh out of him but it didn't work.

"Jared's the least of my problems." He mumbled to himself as he made a turn with his palm on the steering wheel.

"Okayy." She dragged out, drumming her fingers against her knee nervously. "You want me to cook something for dinner tonight?"

Sam didn't say anything, instead he took a different turn than he usually did which would've lead them back to their house, Ivanna's brows furrowed in confusion once she recognized the road, "Sam? What's going on with you?"

He put the truck in park and leaned back into his seat not really sparing the girl a glance, "Charlie's been missing you, I think it's best if you stay here for a bit."

Ivanna stared him in a state of shock, not understating why he's acting this way, "Is this because I was visiting with Tiffany? Are you really that upset about it?" She went to place a comforting hand on his arm but he moved it away from her touch.

"No, I'm not upset about you visiting Tiffany, it's the fact that you have been going over there secretly, visiting Embry's mom."

"I'm sorry I wasn't honest with you about it, but I knew you would think a whole different scenario than why I was really going over there." Ivanna still wasn't getting looked at, "Please Sam, just look at me and believe it. I love you."

Sam stayed quiet, finally sparing her a glance before he got out of the truck and went over to her side, opening the door for her. He reached a hand out and placed it softly against her cheek, running the pad of his thumb back and forth, "And I love you, Ivanna."

She felt her heart swell at his words and touch and went to reply back to him, but he moved his hand away and stepped back, letting her know that he was still upset with her.

"Alright." She whispered, grabbing her stuff and climbing out of the truck, ignoring the hand held out for her to grab in case she needed help. She didn't bother saying another word as she walked the rest of the way up the driveway to Charlie Swan's house.

Ivanna unlocked the door and stopped in the living room to speak with Charlie for a little while before parting ways to go to sleep, just wanting the day to be over with already.