XVI

⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧

"The Mirror of Erised? I thought it was a myth!" Cassiopeia gaped, and Harry smiled before turning on his heel and marching forwards, guiding the older girl through the corridors of their ancient school.

"I found it during Christmas, when everyone was away, I think everyone sees something different. Ron said he was Quidditch Captain, but I was with my parents." the younger boy admitted, and Cassiopeia didn't had to resist her eye roll.

After all, no one else was around. Admittedly, their conversation had gotten somewhat off topic. Initially, the Malfoy was giving the Potter advice on his scar and why it may be hurting (although she didn't have any actual idea), which led to them talking and eventually falling on the topic of the Mirror of Erised.

Eventually, Harry discovered a door which was obviously familiar to him; the victorious grin that laced his face being evidence of that. Twisting the handle, the Gryffindor and Slytherin stepped into the empty room.

Cassiopeia, despite her familiarity with the castle, could confidently say that she had no idea what room they were in. It was completely barren, save for an object - what she now knew to be the mirror - that stood proudly in the corner of the room, shielded by a dark velvet curtain.

"I just... wanted to know what you'd see." Harry shrugged, his good nature overwhelming the blonde girl.

"I see." she nodded, before approaching the mirror and removing the curtain.

For a moment, nothing happened. Cassiopeia, who was still dressed in her school robes, blinked before the mirror and was pleasantly surprised when different sights flooded into the mirror.

The person staring back at her was no girl, but a young woman. Her blonde waves were tamed - and dirty blonde, much to her surprise - and she had grown more confident and attractive than she could have ever hoped.

A look of peace embraced her features, giving the young girl the impression that whoever she grew into was satisfied with her journey.

Besides her stood a woman, one who she could say with confidence that she did not recognise. A gorgeous East Asian woman with light pink hair was linking arms with her, looking at Cassiopeia lovingly.

And, much to Cassiopeia's internal horror, she could be seen holding a piece of parchment that stated 'I, CASSIOPEIA DRUELLA MALFOY, ADHERE AND SHALL ENFORCE THE LAW THAT NO MUGGLE-BORNS CAN BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST DURING EMPLOYMENT, ADOPTION OR ANY OTHER PROCESSES.'

Her stomach sank. Either The Dark Lord didn't rise to power, meaning that she'd have to keep up this façade for years to come, or he did rise, and she played a part in stopping him.

Neither of these versions did she particularly like. She was Cassiopeia Malfoy, for Merlin's sake! Was she really doomed to this fate?

Or is this what she really wanted, deep down? And she had never quite admitted it?

Yet, despite all odds, this decree wasn't even the worst of it.

"Cassie? What do you see?" Harry asked, concerned about the girl who had been staring into the mirror for a good few minutes now.

"I- I'm in love, and I'm an activist, of some sort. Helping muggle-borns out. And... I'm surrounded by all of you. The Weasley family, the Diggory lot and so forth... and I look so content."

'Yet Father is nowhere to be seen.'

⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧

"She's been sat like that all day. It's concerning, Andie, no need to sugarcoat it." Mini stated simply, looking over at the typically collected and quietly confident Malfoy Heiress.

The two Slytherin third years were sat together over breakfast, glancing occasionally at their friend before exchanging worried words. Unsurprisingly, Cassiopeia hadn't explained her behaviour to either of the girls. Instead, she had sat in silence for the past day, only answering when the professors called her name in the register.

Even they had started to notice the girls strange behaviour, throwing her pitied looks. She didn't want pity. She wanted her Father. If she explained it to him, she knew that he'd find a way to fix her.

Perhaps, though, that contributed to the professors fear; she was one of the most famed students in the school, falling in second place behind the Potter boy. Because of this, and her families legacy, it was natural for onlookers to assume that family had something to do with it.

Perhaps it was this alienation from her family that would be her downfall. Most did not talk of the Malfoy family with care in the tone.

"What are we supposed to do about it. It's Cass, she's a stubborn blighter at the worst of times." Andie huffed, digging into her soggy cornflakes.

Mini bit the inside of her mouth before turning to her marmalade toast. Someone had to knew what to do, after all, and they just had to hope that they would act soon so that Cassiopeia would be back to her usual self.

Unbeknownst to any of the students, and even most of the professors, that man sat in the centre of the Professors table; his light eyes twinkling with mischief and his smile warm, yet shockingly insincere.

⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧

"Cassiopeia Malfoy is wanted by Professor Dumbledore. He's in his office." a first-year Ravenclaw girl announced before the Gryffindor and Slytherin D.A.D.A. class.

"T-thank you, Cho." the Professor stammered, and the girl smiled lopsidedly at the Malfoy girl before leaving the room.

All eyes landed on the Slytherin, who was looking plainer than usual. Even in her existential state, the girl couldn't bring herself to look slovenly. That wasn't how she was raised.

Instead, her fake blonde hair that usually cascaded down her shoulders to the middle of her back was tied in a ponytail. The girls fringe was too long, her makeup apparent yet poorly applied. She looked average, and the knowledge of that made Cassiopeia shudder.

"What have you done, Cass?" Fred Weasley asked her, as he helped her to pack her stuff.

The Malfoy shrugged. "Merlin knows. Maybe I've been mistaken for my brother."

The class laughed at the girls comment, and feeling better than she had for the past three days, Cassiopeia managed to crack a smirk, before throwing her bag on her shoulder and marching out the room to the headmasters office.

⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧