XIX

⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧ ⌒ ⛦ ⌒ ⛧

Cassiopeia was in the Hospital Wing for three days; Madam Pomfrey was uncertain about letting her out, considering the state she was in when she arrived. She refused to let Harry out, when the boy was noticeably in a better condition than her.

Upon coming back into the school, where there was only one day of the term left, Cassiopeia had reached heights of acclaim and popularity that she had never before. Almost everyone who saw her thanked or regarded her for her bravery and selflessness - two words that the Malfoy never felt could be dedicated to herself.

Her last lesson, which would typically be Defence Against the Dark Arts, was not to go ahead, for what Cassiopeia knew to be obvious reasons; Harry had given her the full run down when they were both in the Hospital Wing.

"So... you sort of, like, killed Quirrell?"

"Well, when you put it like that..."

"You know what? Fair enough."

Due to this, Cassiopeia decided that the best thing she could do with her term was find Cedric, who she knew to be in Potions with the Ravenclaws. Making her way through the familiar corridors, she found herself in the dungeons in no time and knocked on the door.

"Enter, if you must." Snape's droning voice bellowed from the other side.

The Slytherin girl opened the door and all heads whipped to her in anticipation. Noticeably, the Diggory boy averted his gaze, perhaps out of respect, likely out of awkwardness.

"Ah, Cassiopeia. How's the hand?" Snape asked, aware that the girl wasn't too bothered by the mark it had caused her.

Even if her father did call her deformed.

"Still a bit stiff, sir. Could I steal Diggory from you? It won't be long." she probed, swiping hair behind her ear with her left hand to highlight the pain she'd accidentally inflicted on herself.

"I expect this to be of the upmost importance?" Snape questioned.

"Well, of course."

"...Go on, then." Snape waved his hand dismissively and Diggory, who looked just as perplexed as his classmates, immediately stood up and made his way to the door.

Cassiopeia could now understand why everyone believed that Snape had a soft spot for her, and perhaps he did. So, being the girl she was, why not exploit that?

Even if she was growing in uncertainty about who she was as a person, she wasn't going to abandoned her tendencies to manipulate others and get what she wants.

Closing the door behind him, Cedric and Cassiopeia found themselves stood alone in the dungeons. The usual loudness that was evident on the last day of term had escaped them, and for now, it was just the two of them, stood opposite one another.

"Alright, so I was just-" Cassiopeia started, but was immediately interrupted by the tall boy engulfing her in a hug, which she reciprocated after a moment.

"I was so worried about you, Cass. They didn't allow any visitors, because there were too many of us who wanted to see you." Cedric said into her hair, and the Malfoy girl laughed.