4) An Impossible Promise

By now we had all filled each other in on everything. At least, the important details. It turns out they were looking for Right Arm. I had explained that that's where I had been headed with Sonya and Harriet.

"Had been?"Aris asked.

"Yes. I was at one point. Now I'm just staying around here,"I explained.

There was clear shock on his face, and I don't blame him. It's not everyday you hear your friend isn't going with you to what is supposed to be guaranteed safety. I'm sure the fact that the place I'm staying is filled with danger doesn't help.

"You're really going to keep staying out here all alone?"He asked.

"Aris, I've grown used to life out here. I don't want to risk it all for a sliver of a chance,"I reasoned.

"Are you out of your mind? You're just going to live your life like this?"Newt added.

I put my hands on my pockets and shrugged. They looked at me like I grew three heads.

"Look, I'll send you all with whatever you need or want. You can stay for a while if you'd like, but I can't come. That's that,"I stated, getting up to pack some extra stuff.

"What about Ms.Cammie?"

I turned on my heels and stared at him.

"What about Ms.Cammie?"I asked.

"Maybe we could take them with us,"He tried to suggest. The thought was almost laughable.

"They don't want to leave. Don't you think they would have packed up and hit the road by now?"I pointed out.

"Have you asked?"

"I've had lots of time to learn about these people. It'd be weird if I didn't so don't waste your breath. Just accept my help before you leave or stay about a week."

Aris's P.O.V

I could see that Y/N was dead serious about this, but if she stayed out here she had a good chance of actually being dead. That sliver of hope she's talking about is still that. It's still hope.

"So you're saying it's better to stay here?"I asked.

She looked at me with skepticism knowing I was up to something.

"Yes,"She answered slowly.

"Then, I guess I'll stay to,"I told her.

She looked at me wide-eyed and horrified that I would suggest that. That's good because it's exactly what I want.

"Why would you want to stay out here?! Are you out of your mind?!"She exclaimed.

"Why not? You said it yourself. Why would I want to leave for something that might not be true?"I asked.

"Because you're with all these people. You have a mission. I quit mine a long time ago."

She was going to lose her cool at any second. I just need another push to convince her to come.

"I like the way you're thinking Aris. I think I'm going to stay to,"Newt added. I had to stop the grin threatening to make its way on my face. I was beyond thankful that he caught on.