9) Letters

Drifting off to sleep was hard with the rain pounding on the ground and the simple but important conversation with Minho. Still, I must have managed it because I woke up to someone nudging me.

"Just give me five more minutes,"I pleaded, pulling the blanket over my face.
"That sounds familiar. Get up before I have to drag you,"Aris threatened.
"That's fine,"I said, yawning.

He tugged the blanket off forcing me to actually wake up. From what I could see I was the fourth one awake. Newt was standing with his usual grin, Minho was just standing there, and Aris was being an absolute nightmare.

"Why can't I sleep?"I groaned.
"Don't ask questions. Just come on. We have to get moving before the others wake up."
"Where are we going?"I mumbled.
"You are leading us back to Ms.Cammie. We just want to drop off some things,"He explained.

"Then, why is Minho here?"I asked.
"I thought I said not to ask questions. Get up now. You're the early bird here."
"I hate you,"I grumbled.
"Yeah, yeah. You say that every time someone wakes you up."
"Because it's true. Fine. Give me five minutes."

"For what?"Minho asked.
"I'm too tired to even think of a comeback for that. I'm going to get ready."

Before they could ask anything I found my regular bag. Walking a few feet away I put my hair out of my face and changed into the cleanest clothes I had. After adding my usual piece of glass to my belt I got ready for the long walk.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"I understand why you two would want to leave them something, but why Minho?"I questioned.
"He was up before us. We told him the story, and he wanted to join us,"Newt explained.
"Still, you don't know them. Why did you want to write a letter?"I asked Minho.
"She gave us really good apples,"He shrugged. Judging by the fact that the sun was barely out yet he was walking miles there was probably more, but I didn't ask. At the end of the day it wasn't my business.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

When we were by the familiar burnt orange door I stood there and waited for them to leave their letters. I didn't say it, but the fact that they wrote them something made me heart happier than it's ever been.

Minho's P.O.V

Y/N didn't say anything as we walked up to the door. She only stood there watching.

In the meantime I put my letter in the door handle. I spent a while on it so I hope they understand just how thankful I am.

Dear Ms.Cammie and two kids,
You have no idea who I am so you might be confused as to why I've left a letter. You've looked after Y/N and indirectly helped us. You're so great in fact that she was almost not going to leave. Of course I wouldn't let that happen. To sum it up, thank you for the food, thank you for giving my friends a reason to smile, and thank you for being a good soul. If my friends say so then it's true. I hope you and your kids live a great life.

From,
Some shank named Minho

Aris's P.O.V

I looked at Minho as he stepped away from the door. Then, I added mine. I hope everything I wished for comes true.

Dear Ms.Cammie, Andrea, and Owen,
We've only met once, but I couldn't leave without giving you some kind of thanks. Even if you did scare me a little bit when we first met it's clear you mean a lot to my friend. That means you mean a lot to me. I've always thought Y/N would hate kids so it's obvious they're very special. You helped my friend get through this, and that's worth the world. I wish I could have known you all better. I hope you get somewhere safe and can live without fear. You all deserve nothing less than the best.

Sincerely,
Aris

Newt's P.O.V

Making sure everyone had stepped back I clutched the letter in my hands. As I put it next to the others I hope they understand that every word on there was true.

To the  family by the orange door,
We've only met twice, but it was still special. Seeing people survive out here gives me hope that we can do the same. You've managed to build a life here, but I hope you can build one without fear. Owen, I hope you make it somewhere with all the books you want. Andrea, I hope you make it somewhere you can climb day and night. Ms.Cammie, I hope you make it somewhere you can live a life full of peace. Thank you for everything. We'll remember this forever.

Love,
Newt

Ms.Cammie's P.O.V

I was back home with my arms full of water bottles. They felt heavier than usual, but it was the fact that I lost someone I considered my daughter. I wish I could have been a mom to her and her friends.

Despite this, they're going to leave because they can live a better life. When Andrea and Owen are older we can do the same. I hope I can see them again. Wherever they are I hope they're doing well. Even the kids I hadn't met deserve a good life.

Putting the water bottles by my feet I went to knock only to notice something. Tucked in the door handle were envelopes. Confused I picked them up.

Newt, Aris, and Minho? Who was Minho?Why in the world would they leave these?

I opened the one from Minho first. I scanned those words. Each one filled my eyes with tears. I hope I meet this kid one day because he seems amazing. Writing a letter to total strangers to say thank you and wish them the best was unfathomable. I don't know what a shank is, but I hope it's something good. I'll have to ask Owen.

When my eyes dried I opened Aris's next. His was far more formal but just as heart warming. Y/N wasn't joking about him being kind. To hear how much he cares for his friends only proved that more. I wish I could have known him better too.

Finally, I opened Newt's. I don't know how it's possible, but I started crying harder. To hear that I gave them hope meant everything. I know they can do it. Whatever their mission is they'll get there. I will keep them in my thoughts and in my heart forever.

Despite how different the letters were written one thing was the same. They were all tear jerking and the most touching thing to ever happen at the same time. They all gave thanks, love, and good wishes.

I give them nothing but the same because I know every single one of them is special.