11) Chains

Brenda's P.O.V

I looked outside at a group of teenagers. They seemed to be having a debate on whether or not to come in our building. After a minute they headed inside.

"Jorge, we have some people that just walked in,"I informed him.
"What kind of people?"He asked skeptically.
"I don't know. It just looked like a bunch of teenagers,"I shrugged. Despite the reassurance I could tell that he was still as suspicious as ever.

"I'll go see what they want,"I said, walking down the stairs. He called for me to be careful as I did. I always was, and he knows this so I didn't bother to say anything back. We both knew I was more than capable of handling myself.

After a short walk I stood in the doorway and saw about seven teenagers looking at everything or attempting to. They were still in what was almost complete darkness.

I turned on the lights, and they all jumped in surprise. Once they were done squinting to see they jumped back in surprise. A girl with Y/H/C hair reached for her waist. I followed her hands to see a piece of glass on her belt. She seemed clever. Judging by the fact that her instinct is to be ready to defend herself and the everyone else's was to stay frozen in fear she was probably out here for longer than them.

"Let's slowly back away,"An Asian boy with black hair suggested.
"That's the best idea in the world,"She agreed, getting ready to take a step back. I figured I should let them know they would be fine.

"The chains aren't going to break,"I assured them, watching as they jumped back again. The girl pulled the piece of glass out and pointed it at me. It was already stained red. I was right about her being out her a while then.

"Are you all living out here?"I asked.

"What are you doing with all the cranks?"She asked, ignoring my question and choosing to eye me with suspicion.
"They're our guard dogs,"I shrugged.
"Our?"A boy with brown hair asked.
"That's what I said, isn't it? Come on. I'll introduce you to Jorge."

"What are you expecting from us in return? Food? Water?"She asked.

I liked her line of thinking. She was on edge, cautious, and has a good weapon. I think we'd get along just fine.

"You've been out here for a while, haven't you?"

"Yes. How'd you know?"
"You seem to know how things work out here. Plus, I spotted the weapon on your belt. That's pretty smart. You know what you're doing,"I explained.
"Thank you, but I need answers,"She repeated.
"We have plenty of supplies. We even have a little group going. You guys, as strong as you seem, probably want some things yourself, right?"

Some of them glanced at each other while others kept their eyes on me.

"Maybe,"The girl responded.
"You're going somewhere, aren't you?"
"Maybe."
"We have a few things that may help. Unless, you'd like to be on your own again?"

Everyone looked at each other as if they were speaking in their heads. After a second they nodded and stepped forward. I guess they decided to come.

Your P.O.V

We followed the girl, who ended up introducing herself as Brenda, up a ton of stairs, but I still didn't exactly trust her. Then again I don't trust anybody out here. The people I'm with are different because they had Aris. This girl isn't with one of my best friends, and I don't remember her while in WCKD. That means there's a possibility she could be working for them. You should always assume the worst out of people. That way you'll be prepared for anything they throw at you.