17) Second Family

Honestly I didn't get much sleep, but that's not a surprise. Being on edge is the basic start of not dying out here. It's an option between wanting enough rest to live properly or being alert enough if something happened to be ready to go. I mean there was literally an incident my first night out here alone. I almost got attacked by a group of half Cranks.

Honestly I didn't get much sleep, but that's not a surprise. Being on edge is the basic start of not dying out here. It's an option between wanting enough rest to live properly or being alert enough if something happened to be ready to go. I mean there was literally an incident on my first night out here alone. I almost got attacked by a group of half Cranks. While some people would call that a blessing in disguise because it meant I knew to stay ready for anything I’m a realist. So no. I am not grateful for the trauma of almost being robbed at knife point.

Since I was up before the others, or at least the people I liked or could tolerate, I decided to check on our capture. We had to be sure that he didn't get any more smart ideas in the middle of the night.

Standing up, I brushed myself off before stepping over the burnt out fire to approach him. Sure enough the ropes were the perfect thing to keep his sorry self tied up. It's such a shame that he was sleeping peacefully though. I was really hoping that he’d be in a disturbed state of unconsciousness. Unfortunately, there's always tomorrow. I get to stay stuck next to this absolute manic for even longer. Oh goodie.

On the bright side, which I don't find very often, I do have someone to practice lassoing. Andrea would be proud of this one. Really, really proud.

I miss her. I miss Ms.Cammie. I miss Owen.

I miss my second family. Even if I do have Aris back those three were not everything. I felt like I had siblings. I felt like I had a mother. I felt looked after. I felt loved. I felt safe.

I felt what I would at my age if everything was normal.

Ms.Cammie's P.O.V

The kids don't really understand. While that's not their fault it's hard to see them so torn up. Owen just sits and stares at his books like Y/N’s going to show up and read to him at any minute. Andrea keeps staring at the ceiling bars with this look of hope, as if she would come climbing with her soon. Even I found myself looking at the door for her knock.

I lost a daughter. Blood or not, that was still my kid. If they stayed all of them would have been. I would have done everything to look after them and given them all the love that I could. Even if there wasn't a lot to offer physically, I would have given them all the hugs and support they could ask for.

They never got to experience that with anyone, even though they truly deserve it. I just want the best for them. I just want them to be safe and protected.

She's strong though and has good judgement so if she trusts the group that she has than they’ll all be safe. They just have to stick together and look out for one another.

“Mom,”Andrea mumbled, pulling on my shirt. Looking down, I patted her head as I asked her what she needed. “When's Y/N going to be here?”She whispered, with small tears in her eyes as she awaited my answer.

“She's not coming back,”I managed to get out, remembering that it was for the best.

“Why? Does she not like us anymore?”

“Oh honey,”I sighed, kneeling down and hugging her. She accepted the embrace while sniffling. “She loves you, okay? She just got a chance to go somewhere even safer. She needs to take it and look after herself,”I explained, rubbing her back.

“Why couldn't we come?”

“Because the trip there is too dangerous for you two. You're too young.”

“I want to be there though. We could have all worked together and everything would be fine,”She protested.

Taking a breath, I opened my eyes to see Owen standing there.

“Come on, honey,”I whispered. Running towards me, as he almost tripped over his own feet I was reminded just how much of a chance they had right now.

Still, as he also threw his arms around me, I could feel the weight of the heartbreak.

I am going to get them to that Safe Haven. I’m going to get them to Y/N.

I just have to wait until the risk is just a little less than what it is now.