Chapter 4

Penny stabbed at her roasted potato miserably and sighed. Caleb watched her eat, unsure of how to talk to his daughter.

"Do you know when Ravena gets out of jail?" He asked.

"This year. Some time. Dunno. You're the one who put her in." Penny muttered and pushed the potato around.

"Oh C'mon. Stop being so bitter about that."

Penny slammed her fist on the table and stood up. "She was eight! A child! You're meant to be a father to her! Not throw her in jail!"

A bodyguard walked forward, ready to restrain Penny. Caleb put his hand up and the bodyguard backed off.

"Don't speak to me like that." He said in a sharp tone.

"Or else what? You're gonna lock me in my room with limited food and water? It's not like you haven't done it the first time."

Caleb scowled. "Why do you even want to hang out with me?"

Penny remained quiet, not even sure why she was hanging with Caleb. Penny pushed her untouched food away from her and left the room. Caleb watched her go with a blank expression.

The next day Penny was able to go back home. John dropped her off home in a Lamborghini.

"I'm sorry that you hate your father." He said softly, just as Penny was getting out of the car.

Penny snorted. "It was his fault. It's always his stupid fault. I wish he dropped dead."

John put his hand in the gear shift. "Peniela." Penny hummed. "Your father has stage four lung cancer."

Penny remained quiet, not wanting to seem disrespectful in front of him. She slammed the door shut and walked into her house. Elise ran to Penny and hugged her instantly.

"Hey kid." Penny said, smiling.

"I have made a dress for your wedding."

Penny looked at the roof. "Adonis and I aren't getting married."

"Alpha and Viper say you are."

Penny looked at Elise with narrowed eyes. "Well tell them to shove a stick up their-"

"Hey Penny. What are you two talking about?" Ricki asked, walking into the room.

"Adonis~." Elise said in a sing-song tone.

"Adonis and I aren't happening!" Penny yelled.

"Yes you are."

"No we're not!"

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

"Are too."

"Not."

"Are too."

Ricki watched them with a smile and took her flour covered apron off. Her red hair and her red polo shirt was covered in flour.

"Who's Adonis?" She asked.

"Penny's soulmate."

Ricki laughed. "I wish I found my soulmate."

"But you've got a boyfriend that makes you happy mummy."

"I do Eli. I do." Ricki brushed her hands together and put her apron back on. "Well, I've got work to do. Keep quiet please. Oh, and I've got therapy for you Penny. It starts tomorrow."

"Thanks mum."

Elise backed away from Penny with a grin. "Adonis~."

"That's it! Get here now!"

Elise squealed with laughter and ran away. Penny chased her with a grin. Penny chased Elise until she ran out of breath and got bored. Then she walked into her room and sat down at her desk with a sigh. She looked through her window and looked at the house next to hers. The grey curtains were drawn, so Penny couldn't see inside the room.

Suddenly, the curtains were pulled apart. Adonis was in the room, shirtless (which revealed a six pack). Penny put her head down and pretended to do homework, hoping that he wouldn't recognise her since her hair changes colour randomly. Today, her hair was a violet colour. Yesterday, it was green. Penny's hair was short.

A pebble was thrown at her window. Then another. Penny ignored it. But another was thrown and Penny looked up to glare at him. Adonis gave her a grin and instantly Penny's anger faded. She gave him a closed mouth smile. Adonis bent down, picked up a whiteboard and marker and wrote on it. He held it up for her to read.

You okay?

Penny sighed and wrote on a sheet of paper, holding it up for him to read.

Yeah. Just my stupid father being himself. Wish he could stop acting like a dick.

Adonis chuckled and Penny could hear it from where she was with her vampire hearing. It was soft and low and it made all her worries disappear. Adonis rubbed his question off the whiteboard and wrote on it. Then showed her.

I understand how you feel. My father makes me train every day. Says that every vampire would not let me live if my training wasn't good.

Penny sighed and wrote on her paper, then held it up.

Guess we both have dickheads for fathers.

Adonis laughed and wrote on his whiteboard.

Yeah. So who is your father? Maybe I know him.

Penny hesitated. Caleb Voireca was the most known vampire. Vampires respected him and some even call him master. Vampire hunters tried to kill him but Caleb is the first most powerful vampire. And that makes Penny the second most powerful half vampire. She wrote on her paper.

Can't tell you that. Sorry.

Adonis's smile dropped and he wrote on his whiteboard.

Understandable.

Someone called his name and Adonis waved goodbye, then disappeared. Penny sighed and put her hand under her chin, smiling and staring into space. Maybe... Maybe she could give her mate a chance. Penny shook her head.

"What am I thinking? He's a vampire hunter. I'm half a vampire. We can never happen." She said out loud to herself. "But maybe we can... Maybe."

And so, she allowed herself to imagine what it would be like to love Adonis.