Chapter 18

Adonis watched as Penny played tag with her sister, laughing freely. He looked at her fangs and smiled softly, already even more in love with Penny. Penny looked at Adonis and smiled at him, making his heart skip a beat. Adonis gives her a goofy smile and Penny gestured for him to go to her.

"Play tag with a vampire and a kid? Nah thanks." Adonis said.

"Come on Adonis." Penny pleaded.

Adonis laughed and got up. He jogged to Penny and Elise and played tag with them for a little while. After a while Penny and Adonis were sitting down, watching Elise play on the playground.

"You can't tell anyone I'm a vampire. Alright?"

"Never. It's your own secret to tell others. If you didn't keep it a secret from me I would've told someone. But then again, I wouldn't tell anyone."

Penny smiled, properly this time. Adonis smirked.

"I like your smile. It's pretty. Shows your fangs real well." Adonis complimented.

Penny blushed. "Thanks."

"So, Echlia. Are you related to the Duchess or just knew her?"

"Duchess Echo is like an aunt to us. But my mother and I were banished from Echlia. Whenever she visits I cannot stay. Her guards and knights are terrified of me." Penny said and winced as Elise fell from the playground.

"So, why doesn't your sister react to pain?"

"She's got her own secret. We tell each other everything. I just hope that mum's boyfriend doesn't break up with mum." Penny sighed.

"Why would her boyfriend break up with your mother? Your mother is an amazing person." Adonis turned to Penny.

Penny watched as Elise climbed up the slide. "Elise is born from rape. Mum's boyfriend is... Overprotective? Of her. And if I remember correctly he's a bit of a narcissist. But to me he doesn't seem like one." She shrugs. "I'm certain that he wouldn't want mum to have a kid born out of wedlock."

"Huh." Adonis stands. "Well. I have to go now. Goodbye sweetie."

"Bye."

Penny watched him go then watched Elise play for a little while longer. When the sun started setting she gets up and stretched.

"Come on you little shit. Gotta go back home." She called out.

"Aww. But I was just having fun."

"Well, you have thirteen years to have fun then it's either a live or die situation when you're fifteen."

"... Fine." Elise pouted and skipped next to Penny.

"Will I ever find someone to love me like Adonis lives you?"

"Yeah but the fun part is he dies."

"How is that fun?" Elise whined.

"I dunno. Thought I would say it." Penny shrugged with a closed mouth smile.

Elise poked Penny in the side. Penny laughed and slapped her hand away. Elise grinned at Penny.

"Tag! You're it!" She yelled and ran in the direction of her house.

Penny laughed and ran after Elise, making sure she didn't use her vampire speed. They ran to their house and Elise threw the front door open and raced up the stairs. Penny chased after her, laughing. Ricki watched the girls run with a soft smile.

After a while Penny went to her room and sat down. She was just brushing her red hair when a letter appeared in her room with a flash of white light. Penny raised her eyebrow and grabbed the letter. She unfolded it.

Come to the mansion. From, Father.

Penny sighed and got up. She ran to the Voireca mansion with her vampire speed and opened the door.

"Father?" She called out.

No answer. Penny rolled her eyes and was about to speak again when she smelled it. Adonis's scent. And blood. Her heart skipped a beat and Penny ran up the stairs, following the scent to her father's office. She threw the door open and her eyes widen at the scene in front of her.

Eight vampires surrounded Adonis, watching as Caleb beat Adonis up. Penny raised her hand and threw a ball of lightning at him. Caleb screamed as he was thrown back into a wall. Then he laughed.

"Really Peniela? Is that all you got? Just remember. You're weaker than me. You're nothing. And now that I know who your real mate is I'm going to kill him." He gets up and walks back to Adonis and raised his hand, ready to beat him up.

Penny raised both hands and a fireball appeared in both hands. She threw them at Adonis, lighting him up. Caleb screamed and thrashed around, trying to extinguish the flames. When he did he looked at Penny with fear.

"How?!" He screamed. "I'm the most powerful vampire! Not you!"

He stomped his foot, looking very angry.

"Let's just say fate decided I'm much better as he most powerful vampire and not you." Penny crossed her arms.

"Kill her!" Caleb pointed his finger at Penny. "Kill her!"

The vampires hesitated, looking at Penny with uncertainty. They didn't want to be lit up on fire or electrocuted. They shuffled around.

"You should go first Tim." One said and gestured at Penny.

"Nah. I got a wife and family. Why not you go first, Elliot." Tim raised his hands.

"Nah. I'm too young to die."

As the vampires bickered Penny grabbed Adonis and ran out.

"Fucking idiots! She's getting away!" Caleb yelled.

"Why do you want her dead?" Elliot asked.

"If I can throw Ravena in jail I can kill Peniela." Caleb stomped his foot. "Now kill her."

Penny threw Adonis over her shoulder and used her vampire speed to ran far away from the Voireca mansion. When she was sure she had enough distance she put Adonis down gently and crouched down in front of him.

"Are you okay?" Penny asked.

Adonis grinned. "Well. I told my family I love a vampire. Didn't tell 'em it was you, so don't worry. Anyway. They disowned me. So when I was looking for a place to sleep I got captured by those vampires." He winced when Penny poked at his wounds. "I'll be fine love. Don't worry."

Penny wrapped her arms around him. "Thank the gods you're okay."

"Your father is crazy."

"I know. I love you."

"Love you too."