Chapter 5

Penny put her mask on, shut the door behind her and walked down the cobblestoned street.

"Penny!" A voice yelled behind her.

Penny turned and saw Adonis running to her. She smiled.

"Adonis."

Adonis bent down and huffed. "You sure can walk fast." He straightened. "Can I walk with you to school?"

They walked to school together, Penny not sure what this fuzzy feeling that she was feeling was.

"Got anything after school?" Adonis asked.

Penny shrugged. "I've got therapy after school."

"Ohh. You're mentally ill?"

"With a dickhead for a father I would be surprised if I wasn't." Penny muttered.

Adonis laughed and Penny's heart skipped a beat. The young half witch shook her head. Stop it. We can never happen. She chastised herself. Adonis and Penny talked about stuff. What books they liked to read. What food they liked. What they wanted to be when they grew up (Adonis said that if he wasn't a vampire hunter then he would've been a chef). They got to school and Adonis followed her to roll call room.

Adonis pulled the chair out from the desk and gestured to the chair, indicating for Penny to sit down. Penny sat down and slid the chair closer to the table. Adonis sat down next to her. They listened as the teacher gave the morning announcements and called the classes names out. Finally, the bell rang. Penny and Adonis walked out of the room and Adonis took Penny's books off her.

"Here, let me take these off you." He offered with a charming smile.

Penny rolled her eyes and snatched her books off him, but Adonis held onto them.

"No thanks. I can carry them." She said.

"Mhm. Sure." He took them off Penny. "So, what's our first class?"

"English. Now, gimme my books."

"No." Adonis turned and walked away.

Penny wanted to be angry at him but she couldn't. She liked the attention he was giving her.

"You're going the wrong way Adonis." She called out and Adonis turned around to run back to her.

On the walk to English class Adonis asked a question which nearly made Penny forget to breathe.

"What's your number one wish?" He asked, opening the door for Penny.

Penny walked in and sat down, unsure if she should answer.

"To have a father to love me like a father should." She murmured. "I've seen people with fathers that love them and care for them and it made me jealous. Jealous that I don't have a dad to care for me. Jealous that I have to call my father father and not dad."

"Why do you need to call your father 'father'?" Adonis asked.

Penny sighed. "He's a very important man. Families that important must keep up some sort of reputation and show that they're far more superior than their children."

Adonis smiled gently. "Your wish will come true. I know it. A man will come with adoption papers and sign them then give your father the middle finger." He said softly.

Penny smiled sadly, not believing it, and the two went to their work.

After school Adonis walked Penny to her therapy appointment.

"I'll be right here okay?" He said and Penny nodded. Adonis grabbed Penny's hand and kisses it.

Penny walked into the building. A woman was typing on a computer. When Penny walked in the woman looked up and smiled.

"Peniela right?" Penny scowled, her eyes turning yellow. "Oh, you don't like Peniela?"

"Only my father can call me Peniela. Nobody else. Call me Penny please."

"Of course. Sorry Penny. Have a seat. Linda will be out in a bit."

Penny sat down and nervously played with the skirt part of her dress. Five minutes later and the door opened. A woman honey blonde hair, black plastic glasses and a clip board walked out. She smiled at Penny.

"Penny Voireca?" She said.

Penny nodded and stood. She followed Linda to her office and sat down on the chair. Linda also sat down.

"So. Let's get started. Why don't you tell me about the mask, Hm?" She clicked her pen and started writing.

Penny breathed in then out. She took her mask off and stood. Penny walked to the window, looking out.

"Penny?" Linda asked. "This is a safe space. You can tell me."

Penny sighed. "I'm a monster." She muttered.

"And why do you think you're a monster?"

"Because... I'm half a vampire. I have blood-lust that I can't control and I have lightning abilities that I can't control."

Linda nodded. "Anything else?"

"There was a guy. His name is Colt. He..." Flashbacks assaulted Penny and she closed her eyes. "He used me."

"And how did he use you?"

Penny shook her head.

"Penny. If you want to get through your trauma you're gonna have to tell me." Linda said softly.

Penny turned around, her eyes a bluish purple. "Because. He used my vampire side to his own advantage! He made me kill people just so that he can rule Echlia!" She yelled then broke down. "The bastard fucking used me! And that's not the worst part of my own pathetic fucked up life!"

"Why don't you tell me more?" Linda said, writing on her clipboard.

"Nobody knows I'm a vampire. Nobody except my little sister Elise." Penny sat down on the floor, crossing her legs.

"Okay. And how old is your sister?"

"She's one." Penny sighed. "And I'm worried."

"Why are you worried?" Linda asked.

"My mother is dating a guy. I'm worried that, when they get married, he'll just take mum away from us. I'm worried that he'll push us away from mum and make mum forget us."

Linda nodded, remaining quiet. But Penny had finished talking. She didn't want to tell the therapist anything else. She was scared that Linda would tell people. And then Adonis would be taken away from her and she would have no-one. Linda knew she was done and so they sat quietly, Linda not pushing Penny.