Lost Cause (2)

This was exactly what Spencer was dreading. The break that he conceded to has now reached the three-month mark.

"Hey, Trina, it's me. I just want to know that you're alright; it's been three months; I don't want to sound impatient, but.." he released a sigh, "I miss you. I miss -" The automated voicemail interrupted him.

Spencer dropped his phone on the bed as his hand ran down his face. He turned to the crib in his bedroom that lay his sleeping sibling. "I think I lost her, buddy," he whispered as the baby physically reacted to a dream.

Spencer stared at his brother as his emotions gradually built. He was holding onto hope that maybe he was wrong and she just needed her space. Then they would reconnect once she was back - they both would've had time to clear their heads.

'Was it worth it?' He thought to himself as the sight of the crib became blurry. The sounds of loud knocks interrupted his moment, "Spencer!" The familiar voice of Esme was behind the door.

Silently, he approached the door, opening it slowly to face the mother of the child he possessed. "Hi," she smiled at him, to which he nodded and moved to the side to let her in. "I'll go get him," Spencer mumbled as he left her in his living room.

"This is my first time inside your place; it's nice." She spoke loud enough for him to hear but was met with no response. Her eyes scanned his home, finding picture frames on the coffee table.

He and Trina resided in each frame.

"You know we miss you at Laura's," Esme commented as a now-awake Ace was placed into her arms. "Well, I don't." He responded, making her bite her lip. "I have gotten used to you -"

"I don't care, Esme." He exploded. "You have him; now go." The young female glared at him as she looked at Ace's bag. "You're not carrying this for me?" She snarled as his past acts came to a sudden stop after his date night.

"No, it's not that heavy." He opened his front door as the female slowly approached it. "What? Trina finally left you?" He didn't miss the slight smirk on her lips. "Goodbye, Esme," he gritted out.

He slammed the door behind her, forgetting Ace's presence for a moment. He released a shaky breath as his back dragged downwards against his door.

He rejected the idea that he lost Trina.

The rapid pace of his heart and the slight tremble in his fingers made his emotional state return. He felt lonely and anxious about the future of his relationship.

His phone buzzed, hinting at a text; he immediately moved toward the device, hoping for Trina's name to be the notification on his phone. Instead, he received a text from Cameron, who had recently returned to Port Charles.

-

Spencer went to Kelly's after Cameron's text to meet him. As he turned the corner, he bumped into someone, and he quickly apologized. "It's fine, bro." The dark skin male replied as Spencer's eyes laid on the female beside him.

"Trina," he stated as he took in her appearance. Her yellow dress was decorated with flowers, and the yellow heels matched. Her hair was braided, unlike the silk press he was accustomed to.

"Hi, Spencer," She greeted him as she held the chocolate cake the male beside her bought for her.

He looked between the duo; his heart sank at the conclusion he made.

She was on a date.

He gulped before a set of hands slammed on his shoulder. "Spencer!!" The voice of Cameron echoed through his ear. "Cameron!" Trina shrieked, immediately embracing the male.

The friendly duo caught up for a moment before she dismissed herself to leave with the male she was accompanied by. Cameron pointed at the duo that left, then looked at Spencer. "Is there something I should know?" Spencer's lips pulled in a bitter smile, "it's a lot."

-

Later that night, Spencer lay in bed, restless after the brief interaction with his lover - he wondered if she was still his lover.

He heard a knock on his door that he was about to ignore until it became annoyingly repetitive. "Why -" His eyes widened at the culprit.

"I went to your grandmother's, and you weren't there, so she gave me your address." Trina quickly explained, expecting a negative reaction from him; she expected the door to shut in her face. He nodded, moving to the side, silently inviting her inside.

"What-what brings you here?" he stuttered as he used his fingers to comb his hair; he was unprepared for this visit.

"We need to talk, but I want you to know I did not ghost you to replace you. That guy is a friend, he's a transfer student, and I befriended him so he can get comfortable in the new environment." She explained, and he listened.

"You looked beautiful; I thought it was a d; I; I can tell he's attracted to you." Spencer voiced as he approached his couch and then sat.

"Well, the attention was nice." She expressed, receiving a blank gaze in return. She sighed as she removed her purse from her shoulder before sitting beside him, leaving a large gap between them. "I'm sorry, that was uncalled for."

"No, I deserved it."

They gazed at one another before Spencer asked, "Did you get the space you needed?" Trina nodded slowly, not breaking the eye contact they shared. "I see you kept your word." She gestured to the new home and the absence of Ace. "When it comes to you, always." Trina chuckled, looking away briefly.

"Are we..." Spencer hesitated to ask, "Are we still together?" he softly uttered.

"Are you still playing house? Being a baby daddy for a child that's not yours." She watched her lover straighten his position. "Trina, he's my brother. He needs me; even if my father were here, he would still be one of my priorities."

"Spencer, there's a difference between co-parenting and being there for your brother. Playing daddy with someone who causes us so much pain isn't the way to go about it." Spencer nodded before shooting his arms out, motioning around his apartment.

"Which is why I did this! Every day I worry about Ace being in Esme's custody, but I'd rather live with that than lose you. As I said, you're my top priority - I failed to show that recently. But I want you to be happy and comfortable."

Trina gazed at Spencer; the gap between them closed as he inched closer to her with every declaration.

"I don't want you to fret over him; oh God, Spencer, I didn't want you to feel like you had to choose; I just hate how it looked!" She exclaimed as she held her face. "Y'all looked like a family, a stranger would be fooled, but to me, it seemed like a pseudo-family. My problem is with Esme, not with your brother."

Spencer nodded; he held her shoulders. "Trina, I understand. Baby, I understand and am sorry; I'm so sorry I put you through that emotional pain."

Trina nodded as she allowed him to pull her into his embrace.

"We were overwhelmed..." Spencer mumbled into her hair as her arms wrapped themselves around his abdomen. "Very overwhelmed." She inhaled his fragrance as she cuddled into his chest.

"I love you, Spencer - even through the pain - I always love you." She felt his smile grow as his heart sped up beneath her hand. His chest vibrated as he spoke, "The pain in our ass won't be long, Trina; I love you - only you, and believe me when I tell you, Esme won't be around to cause us - you - any more pain."

Trina nodded as she looked up. Spencer leaned down, placing a lingering kiss on her lips. He pulled back, admiring the pleasure on her face as her eyes stayed closed.

She peaked up at him before leaning up, reconnecting their lips once more.

"Let's make up for lost time, shall we?" Trina whispered in his ear as she straddled his lap.