THE PROLOGUE

"The first step ensures chaos

"The first step ensures chaos."

My father glanced around the bustling cafe, his wrinkled forehead illuminated by the overhead lights. He leaned closer to me, his voice barely a whisper. 

"They are everywhere, as are you." He revealed, "You're going to join the Mafia." 

He explained the treacherous path that he would lead me on. The path which would lead me straight into the heart of the Mafia to get our revenge. 

The scent of freshly baked goods, made me want to hurl over and vomit or maybe curse out catastrophes unheard of in this five-star cafe. There were no arguments with joining the Mafia, not even infiltrating it by straight up walking into their fake office and saying a password only my father knew of, nor was it the fact that I had to go completely unarmed despite my certifications with gun usage. It was befriending some guy. The guy is the problem here. Surely, there could have been another option but nope. After hours of consideration and hard-to-hear conversations, we came back empty-handed. 

"Fine," I muttered, my father wrapped his hairy arms around me, "I wish there was another option."

"You'll be alright." He said. 

My heels clicked against the marble floor. He might be right, but every fibre of my being doubted it. 

My feet were kicked up against the recliner chair which probably cost more than a thousand pounds. Probably more than my annual salary as a secretary of one of the top CEO of the country. A maid handed me a glass of champagne as her fearful eyes scanned the room, she didn't dare meet Francis Vinto's cold-hearted stare like me. He didn't bother me... For now. She handed me the crystal-shaped glass. 

"I hope it's to your liking." He muttered as he cleaned one of his rifles meticulously.

He could have shot me right now if he wanted to... but he hasn't. So, I've made a good impression. Francis has all the power in the Mafia, and I am ready to take it from his grasp and savour every last drop of the wine I will never be able to afford afterwards. 

"Quit the formalities, Francis," I said. 

His jaw clenched as he pointed his pistol at my forehead, "If I do that, I'll have to shoot you." 

For the first time in the past three hours, his lightening blue eyes locked with mine. He was smirking.

"Then do it." I challenged. 

Without hesitation, he aimed the gun at my foot. Francis, of all people, had the audacity to show mercy. But before he could pull the trigger, I twisted his wrist and redirected the gun against his chest, "Now, we are even. If you don't mind I'll be in my room if you need me. Although, I cannot guarantee an answer." 

My fingers grazed against the silver platter the maid had in her hand, and I snatched it away, taking all of the champagne glasses with me to my room. What a night. Once Francis's door was closed, the other men and women had a glint of hope in their eyes. I nodded at one of the maids who served me and made my way into my room. 

My body slumped against the marble wall, it cooled the insatiable heat creeping up my back like a vine. That was not the plan. The curtains obscured whatever was behind it. It was probably for the best. 

Coming here might be a big mistake. Especially, if and when he does find out my real identity, my life won't be the only one on the line. Every person I have ever known may suffer the same fate as me. Being close to anyone, especially here is not an option.

Somehow, luck is on my side. Francis, the offspring of the father who killed my mother, didn't recognise me. And I will do everything in my power to make him pay for his crimes. Even if I lose everyone I love.