CHAPTER 11

"Ancient things once felt safe too

"Ancient things once felt safe too."

Antonio's soft touch tingled when he helped me out of the car. We went to a lake, behind the cottage my mum would leave me in when she went somewhere. He submerged his muscular legs into the murky waters below.

Silence surrounded us, he shuddered at first but then looked up to meet my face.

"I can assure you we are not on holiday." He muttered, "I need you to answer my question."

The snow crunched underneath me, as Antonio helped me sit next to him.

If anyone from the group saw us like this, they would end up assuming something romantic was going on.

"My mum had brought me here many times. She'd say she would return in a few hours, but hours would turn into days with a random family I didn't know." I said.

He closed his eyes, scrunched up his eyebrows.

"Your mum did the detor to protect you." He said, "So, does that mean she knew something was going to happen?"

I shook my head, "I used to go there a lot. I wasn't there when my mum came here last."

He tucked his gun into his jeans,"Tell me everything."

"Why should I trust you?"

He scoffed, "Because I'm the only one helping you right now. I could have got you killed ages ago."

The lights to the cabin flickered as dinner was placed down by my aunt. My mum told me that no matter what happens, nobody could know that my aunt lived here in the cottage. My aunt's face was plastered over TV screens for months, with the media asking for her location due to criminal activity.

Mum showed me photos at the dinner table of my aunt, Mal, firing rifles at people. She explained, what she was doing would stop all Doomsdays. In my eyes, my aunt was a hero, the fear of Doomsday lessened overtime as more townspeople began to join.

"That was until the Mafia realised what was going on." My mum said, "They want her dead. So you are not going to tell a single soul about aunty, Mal."

She patted my head as aunty Mal handed a revolver to me.

"Your mommy is going to help me, we're going to save people today that were taken in the Doomsday. We won't be home. We might not make it home.Your dad will look after you." Aunty Mal explained, "If we don't make it home and you decide to get answers, you will not tell anyone what we were doing."

My mother glared at Aunty Mal and dragged her away. A tub of lukewarm pot noodles kept me company in the cold cabin.

When they came back, they pretended they had spoke of nothing at all a few seconds ago.

"Why can't we take over, and lead the Mafia?" I asked.

They glanced at eachother.

"Because we will get killed." Aunty Mal said.

I jumped off the seat and my pink boots sparkled, "I will take over and prove you wrong."

They laughed and hugged me tight.

My mother smiled, kissing my face several times, "I hope you do."

Antonio listened carefully to what I had to say, I never mentioned about my aunt just someone wanting to stop Doomsdays.

"Doomsdays?" Antonio twirlled his car keys around his finger, "Out of all the things to name it."

"Maybe people didn't have time to name it since your men were killing people." I sneered.

He sighed.

The cottage my aunt lived in had a couple of lights on. A figure of a man stood near the curtain, which made my stomach drop.

My aunt is in there.

Antonio tried to call out for me as I bursted through the door, and pointed a gun at the man stood in the living room.

I froze.

No.

I screamed.

The piercing sound of Sophie's scream, echoed in the cabin as she stared at a man I didn't recognise

Her hand trembled as she pointed the gun at the man.

"Where is she?" Sophie asked, "The woman who lived here."

The man grinned as he loaded the gun and walked right past her and pointed his gun at me.

"Maybe, you should ask this young fellow here." He said, "This bastard deseves to die."

I gulped as the strange man pointed his gun at my temple.

Sophie aimed the gun at the man's chest and fired four rounds.

"No one touches him without my permission."She sneered.

The man dropped to the floor, blood oozing out of his mouth.

Before I could even ask why Sophie said or did what she did, she ran upstairs.

"Mal?" Her voice rasped.

When I finally made it to where Sophie was, she knelt before a woman lying down. The woman's hair was just like her mothers, hazelnut brown and her eyes were a deep shade of blue.

For a second, I thought I was imagining the similarities until she spoke.

"What are you doing here, sweetie?" She coughed as she  wrapped a bandage around her leg.

"Where did my mum go that night?" Sophie asked as we lifted Mal onto the bed.

Mal glared at me as though she was sizing me up. She knows exactly who I am.

Mal tucked Sophie's hair behind her ear, "She went to work for this loser's father. Where else would she go, Sophie?"

Now for the second time today, another gun was pointed at my face. Except this time, it was by this woman, Mal, that Sophie seemed to know all to well.

Sophie stood in front of me, "He's going to help. There's a USB, it says the leader wanted to kill mum. We can do something now. Please. Don't-"

Mal dropped the gun, tears streamed down her face, and she sobbed.

I reached out for her hand, and squeezed it. A loud  bang came from downstairs.

Sophie locked the door, "We need to leave. Someone is here."

Mal opened the wardobe to reveal a makeshift underground route. The latch cracked and Mal went down the ladder. Sophie was the last one and closed the fake floorboards so no one could see where we went. She locked it from underneath.

"There's something you need to see." Mal said, "But you, Mr Vinto, won't like it."