CHAPTER 13

"I want to believe you, even though you're full of lies

"I want to believe you, even though you're full of lies."

At some point to our drive to Houston, Antonio figured it was time for him to sleep. He gave me the liberaty of sleeping until he started dozing off on the highway.

The steering wheel fabric was warm from Antonio's touch as he slept in the backseat.

Over ten hours had passed since we left aunt Mal. Antonio promised his men would go and collect her to take her to one of his safe locations. There was no gaurentee over aunt Mal's safety. Anyone could find her and get rid of her just as fast.

For some reason though, trusting Antonio didn't seem like a mistake anymore. He just helped my aunty, without raising any questions, or even asking who she was. Even in this short amount of time, I think I can trust Antonio. Something about him makes me truly believe he is willing to end the merciless rule of his father.

Francis, on the other hand, would have never done that. That should have been obvious to me by now, especially, with the way how he acted to that woman he wanted to recruit. At that moment, Francis truly showed how much power he truly desires.

Neither of them speak of thier father, which doesn't make any sense. Never have I heard of them bring up their mother or family members. In fact, not even my dad knows anything about them.

Naturally, as hiers to the Mafia, you would at least bring up your parents in general conversation. Maybe, things like that do not work here. Maybe, there is something that no one knows about them and it's my job to figure out.

Antonio muttered something in his sleep, and stirred occasionally. A bead of sweat trickled down his face and since he was asleep, he could not argue with me or prevent me from actually looking at him.

A half of his snake tattoo was visible on his neck, the rest was obscured by his white t-shirt which was now covered in sweat, dirt and the blood of the man I killed to protect him.

My intention never was to kill the man. Not until he threatened Antonio, I don't know what snapped inside of me to shoot the guy point blank. There is no part of me that feels guilt over it which makes it seem is the all remorse has disappeared since working here.

Antonio didn't even have the audacity to say thank you or even mention it. He should have been left to get shot then. Maybe, he'd learn his lesson.

Whoever the man was, he was after aunt Mal, which meant someone tipped him off to where she was living. As far as my mother was concerned, no one else knew about where Mal lived. Not until now.

The car lights on the dashboard flickered on and it rattled.

"Antonio? Why do you have half-broken cars for?" I said.

He didn't wake up.

Great, so he's a heavy sleeper.

A few more seconds and we can make it to one of my dad's cars. It's one turn away from here. Although, would Antonio even be trustworthy enough when he sees all the cars?