CHAPTER 5

"Some fires can't be tamed

"Some fires can't be tamed. Sometimes, they don't need to."

The trees swayed and it ruffled with my black dress I borrowed from Anaishia. My fingers clasped the metal railing, a half-moon was out. My mother told me various stories about how the first doomsday, when towns started turning the lights off to avoid the Mafia, was on a half-moon night. In a sense, they acted like wolves, roaming free in thier packs, and here I am amongst them. They consider me thier own, but some of them are wary. They want to know more, more about my past. How I was able to defeat two of the strongest people in the Mafia. The second match with Antonio, brought a lot of controversy, as expected. 

Antonio was no where to be seen afterwards. Even hours of surveillance on the balcony, sipping champagne alone did nothing to calm my nerves. There must be a way to prove my loyalty here. Something to win the majority over. Except, I feel like a rabbit in a black hole, creeping alone and trying not to die in the darkness. 

My father didn't prepare me enough for this. I can't see him again, ever. 

At this point, it doesn't seem necessary to win Francis over if what he said is true. Trusting these people might be the biggest mistake I will make, but it's better than being considered an outlaw here. 

Earning my place should be the top priority. Antonio will die at my hands, and my hands only. 

Francis leaned against his mahogany desk, papers upon folders he managed to flick through within minutes. He pulled the cigeratte away from his lips and blew a puff of smoke. His dim lamp, kept him company and illuminated the black streaks of his hair. 

Francis must have had many women swoon over him, I would be stupid for denying his attractiveness. Yet, there's an aura around him I can never seem deciepher. His eyes locked with mine as I placed a small box of fries on his desk, right over his papers. 

"You're back." He said, "and managed to not get yourself shot." 

His hand briefly grazed mine, over the bruises from the fight with Antonio. He pulled his hand back and opened the box of fries. No part of me could conjour any other explanation for his behaviour, he cares for me. Except, it has been no time at all. 

"I guess so." I said and held his hand. 

Father told me to use anything as leverage.

"Why do you want to kill your father?" I asked.

He let out a sigh, "He's the one who encouraged Mica's friend to overdose. But Antonio has caused a lot of unnecessary damage because he's under my father's thumb."