CHAPTER 15

"Even if the world was burning, I'd still choose you

"Even if the world was burning, I'd still choose you."

Antonio's words repeated over and over again during the trip to where my mum was known to be last. The girl was dropped safely to the sister, she messaged me and cried for hours on the phone. Something we've managed to change. Aunt Mal said she'd look after them and let them join the Doomsday patrol.

The houses reduced in quantity as we headed further and further into the fields. Antonio's fingers felt like feathers as he traced them up and down my arm.

Every once in a while, he studied my demeanour and would ask a random question, which was probably on his mind for a while. In fact, he would ask question every five minutes. And it is about now, where he would ask again another question.

"Why didn't you tell me Mal was your aunty?" He said.

Somehow, Antonio had managed to figure out who Aunt Mal really was. Either, he suspected it or he managed to find out from his connections.

" I didn't think it was safe to tell you." I said.

Antonio sighed, "when will you feel safe?"

I nudged him as we took the first exit in the roundabout, "When you tell me something about you."

Antonio stiffened up, and then rubbed the back of his neck.

"What do you want to know?" He said.

Asking him questions felt like speaking in a foreign language, even though I brought him into this dilemma, no part of me actually anticipated getting this far into the conversation.

I didn't even think Antonio would agree to being asked questions.

"Why do you trust me?" I asked.

He stared at the snow outside and locked eyes with me, "I respect your actions and reasonings behind them."

We turned into a side road.

"Why do you want to help me?"

"Because you deserve answers, you deserve revenge and if that means destroying everything including me then so be it." He said, "I didn't know your mum was innocent, I was told she killed my friends. Francis told me that, so how do you think I would react when seeing you?"

Even in this situation, he's right. Not to kill anyone but he didn't know my mum was innocent. There could be a chance of that happening to me if he really thought someone was guilty. He could just go ahead without any evidence. Which is very, very bad.