CHAPTER 1

"The darkness never scared me

"The darkness never scared me."

When the clock striked twelve at home, we called it doomsday. We would hide in our houses, away from the gamblers and gangsters and turn off all the lights. Where we lived in my youth, if the lights were on, you would be next in line to a path of suffering. One of my childhood friends was chosen. Her lights were off but her whimpers must have been heard by the gangsters, and she was taken away in the night. The parents, were slaughtered to no end. 

The town could hear thier cries for help but couldn't do anything about it. Besides, this was the Mafia. They roamed our town at midnight like it was child's play to them and tormented everyone I knew.

The maids assisted to find new clothes that are suitable preference for me. In other words, what Francis wanted me to wear. The burgundy dress hung above my knees and the slits were rather revolting. I opened the door and was met with Francis workers.

"Francis wanted to inform you he is unable to meet you today, he is currently busy and disappointed with your behaviour yesterday. As a result, you have been requested to spar with all of the memebers before you can see him again. You have until the end of the week to defeat them all." He said.

Someone from the halls gasped, thier blonde hair had no flyaways as it was in a ponytail. She made her way to me and her white top had several buttons undone, which revealed the bruises on her collarbone.

"That's pretty much impossible. You must've succeeded in really pissing him off. Or maybe, he's beginning to like you and is in denial. I'm Ana." She nudged the worker.

He left without another word.

She slung her arm around my shoulder, "So, no one likes you here. But I'll show you around." 

"How long have you been here?" I asked.

She laughed, "for a long time, I also had to fight my way to the top. Let's say because of being the only girl at the time, and an outsider, in both the literal sense and appearance wise, I had to do a lot of rematches." She muttered.

She guided me past the paintings of previous leaders lost, in captivity or dead to a open stretch of land obscured by walls. We were at the back of a mansion, with it's perfectly cut grass and outdoor gym equipment. The area was circled by countless memebers who glared at me, almost instantly revealed they unwavering loyalty to Francis with guns pointed at me

They weren't waiting for me. They were waiting for entertainment. 

"You're against me today." Ana muttered.

I laughed, "of course,you had to get a crowd together."

Sweat tricked down my skin, they do not know a thing about me. Before my mother died and after, my days consisted of being fully trained in several martial arts. No one can beat me. 

Punches were thrown, and I took most of them. I grabbed her collar and pulled her bloodied face closer to mine. She panted and her breath warmed my face. I steadied myself up and pulled out my hand.

"Another round?" I said and Ana wiped the blood away from her nose.

"Of course." She took my hand.

She gave my hand a quick squeeze. Her green eyes met mine, they reminded me of a magical forest I had dreamt since I learnt about fairytales. Except, now, I could see them burnt to a crisp. 

I gulped, and raised my fists which defended my face and ribs as my mother taught me.

"I bet twelve bucks that the newbie will lose." Francis said. 

Ana glared at him, and swung her fists. Then she retracted them and kicked my right shin. Hard.

Her spiked boots dug into my skin, and I stumbled backwards. People cheered and thier laughter replayed in my ears. This is what they must have done when my mother was killed without a reason or even my innocent friends and family cowered in gear as they roamed the streets of Seattle.

I curled my hands into a fist and my knuckles forced against her nose. A crack echoed and then silence. Blood trickled down her lip and I kicked her left knee. 

"What the fuck!" Ana screamed as I toplled her to the ground.

My body had a mind of its own. I could no longer see Ana's face. I could see my mother's killer. Ana took blow after blow for what felt like a century. Her face was bloodied and then she tapped out. Except I didn't stop. I grabbed her by the throat and leaned closer to her.

"It's okay." She said.

The illusion snapped out and then I stood back up. Francis held my shoulders. Instead of pushing him away, I touched his hand briefly. He didn't stop me.

"Have I finally gotten the honours to see you again?" I said.

He ran his hands through his hair, "You managed to beat the unbeatable." He walked away and sent two people to pick Ana up.

"I'm sorry." I muttered.

She laughed, "I've got a punch-able face." 

The group gathered around and handed me a badge, a Mafia badge, and another person explained the process of getting a new tattoo from thier private tattooist to commemorate the day. No one had defeated Anaishka Perez in over 5 years. Somehow, I managed to after a 4 hour fight.

"I guess so." I said.

This was not the first time I was sent into a fight without being told. Nor will it be the last.