Chapter 28

Great Sichuan Tang family.

A cold voice came from the head of the family, the one who led Sichuan, which had a hundred years of history, and played a part among the Five Great Families.

"So..."

The head of the Sichuan Tang family, Tang Gunak, spoke in a low voice devoid of emotions.

"You were defeated by Mount Hua and came back without doing anything?"

"... yes."

"You lost to neither Mount Hua's Divine Dragon nor the Righteous Sword of Hua, which are famous these days. Instead, you were defeated by the second son of the Four Seas Merchants?"

"Yes."

Tang Gunak's eyes were ablaze with anger.

"Do you know what this means?"

"I do."

Tang Pae, who was next in line for the position of the family head, sat beside Tang Gunak and spoke.

"Your knees are quite stiff for someone in your position."

Tang Zhan looked at Tang Pae once and then re-affixed his gaze back to the lord.

But, as if not having any intention of letting this go easily, Tang Pae spoke again in a cold voice.

"You are a direct descendant of the main family, the lord's own progeny by blood."

"..."

"But you return here so shamefully after being beaten by Jo Gul. Do you know what will happen once the people of Sichuan hear about this?"

"I know."

"Everyone will mock and demean us. There will be people who implicitly believe that the Sichuan Tang family has lost its prestige, that our family is insignificant now. Then, there will inevitably be people who rebel against the family and try to collude with other factions."

Tang Zhan bowed his head.

"One small thing can cause a lot of trouble. You aren't so idiotic as to be oblivious to this, are you?"

"... Of course not, Hyung."

"This is an official post."

"Yes, successor."

Tang Pae spoke coldly.

"How are you going to take responsibility for this? With one mistake, the reputation of the Sichuan Tang family could be destroyed; in a big way, it could shake the family's dominion. It's not something that can be solved by simply offering your life either."

"I will take any punishment."

"Then...!"

When Tang Pae was ready to speak.

Tang Gunak spoke.

"Tang Zhan."

"Yes, Lord."

Tang Gunak looked at his son with cold eyes and slowly asked.

"Did you say you were prepared?"

"Yes."

"Does that mean you know how great this mistake of yours is?"

"I do."

"Then why does your face look so at peace?"

This was what Tang Gunak really wanted to know.

The Tang Zhan that he knew was the physical embodiment of the pursuit of victory. None of his sons were more competitive or ambitious than Tang Zhan.

Tang Zhan had endured the family's harsh training, the same training that caused his other siblings to cry or run away; he preserved without ever uttering a complaint through his strong determination.