01

Angela knew that she had known Lottie for a long time, but that they had never specifically spoken to each other. They were partnered in chemistry during a semester in 7th grade. No more than that.

She wondered if she had known her before or after she lived for a year with her mother. Because it was a turning point in Angela's life. She had returned for her first year of high school completely changed. And apparently several people hadn't recognized her. Maybe Lottie too must have believed that she was new.

Either way, it had been the worst year of her life. And she was happy to go back to her father's. Now she was a senior in high school, and Lottie's girlfriend.

The first morning of their fake relationship, Angela had gotten ready as usual. And the she had gone downstairs to go to the kitchen and eat quickly.

"Good morning everyone." Paul exclaimed as he walked down the stairs.

Angela lifted her head and chuckled. "It's just me daddy. Timothy is still sleeping."

He shrugged and opened the fridge to get a bottle of juice. He sat across from his daughter on the counter and poured himself.

"I'll go get the newspaper." He announced as he got up, leaving his glass half full.

The blonde raised a dubious eyebrow and looked up from her phone continuing to eat her toast. "Print media is useless these days. We have phones for that."

Paul ignored her and shook his head as he opened the door after slipping on his slippers to walk out of the house in his bathrobe. He walked over and picked up the newspapers that were lying a bit further from the doorstep.

He bent down to catch it hearing at the same time the noise of a car, when he got up with the paper in hand a black BMW was parked in front of the house. He frowned in confusion.

The back car door opened, and a tall girl stepped out. She had on a white Ralph Lauren polo shirt, and a sweater with only the sleeves tied around her neck.

She walked down the aisle and stopped in front of Paul with an awkward smile on her face. "Hi Mr.Montgomery, I'm here for Angela."

He patted her chest with the newspaper. "What's your name ?"

"Charlotte Matthews." She responded by holding out her hand.

He recognized the name of one of his associates and smiled. Despite the fact that Mr. Matthews never mentioned having a child, which is a shame. Paul loved talking about his daughter, especially when she was helping him out or just keeping him company when he was having his Fourth of July annual barbecue.

"Well, I'm Paul Montgomery. But you can just call me Paul." He said shaking her hand. "All my daughter's friends are my friends, wanna come inside for a sec ?"

"Huh sure." She agreed.

He motioned her to follow him and took her by both shoulders aside from the fact that he was a little shorter than her.

They entered the house and from the kitchen, Angela opened her mouth wide dropping the toast from her hand. "What is she doing here ?"

"I ran into your friend while taking my newspaper." He smiled, shaking her a little and Lottie gave her a little embarrassed wave.

"Yeah, she's gonna drop me off at school." Said Angela giving her a glare.

She swallowed slowly, avoiding her gaze.