Chapter 6

Bluepaw was ecstatic. Cloudsky had finally let her do something fun for a change, and go on a solo hunting mission.

"To see where you're at," her sister had said. Bluepaw wanted desperately to prove herself to Cloudsky. Her and Palepaw's father had died protecting Rushingwater, his apprentice at the time, and Goldenflow had been incredibly overprotective after that.

Her father's name had been Jayfrost, and her mother said Bluepaw looked a lot like him, with his blueish-gray fur and bright blue eyes.

Bluepaw was very proud of that.

She then realized she had absent-mindedly reached the edge of their border. She frowned, and started to turn back, when a shimmer caught her eye. She spun around, and gaped at the view.

It was just the mountains, but the most beautiful of mountains.

The cliffs were dappled a lavender-gray, and evergreen pines swished in the breeze. There were aqua-blue ponds streaming bubbling brooks down the mountainside, and she could just see the shining rays of the dawn sun peeking out behind a jagged peak, covered in snow. Dappled with mist, she knew that MistClan had the best view out of all four Clans.

She sighed. I wish I could be there, she thought, and tried as hard as she could to will herself over there, even though she knew she would have no success.

Then, in a woosh of colors and smells and sounds, she was standing on a rock beside a familiar aqua pond with golden-yellow fish swimming in it.

Bluepaw yowled in surprise. She was hundreds, maybe thousands of fox-lengths upwards. How did I get here?! She wondered nervously. Even more important, how would she get back?

It was quite a long way back to the MistClan camp, and it would be sunset before she got even to the horseplace, let alone Clan territory. She sighed, and was preparing herself for a long journey and a lecture from Cloudsky, when she stopped, and realized something.

I teleported up here! She realized in shock.

Bluepaw focused on a rock above her where the waterfall cascaded. Let me up let me up let me up, she thought, and stared at the rock so hard, she was trembling. Then her view distorted and then she was slipping and sliding on the wet, slippery, rocks. But just as she was about to fall off the edge, she focused on the ground where she was before.

She stumbled a little bit when she teleported there, and her blue-gray fur had gotten a bit wet, but other than that she was okay. She yowled her happiness to the mountains, but the mountains stayed silent, ignoring her stoically. Bluepaw was laughing so hard, blood rushing to her head.

She could teleport. Honestly, if the mountains had begun singing 'Ode to a Lizard' she wouldn't have thought it odd in the slightest. She considered telling Palepaw, Pinepaw, and Ivypaw, and rubbing it in Ivypaw's grubby little face, but she decided against it. They'd just think she was lying, and besides, it'd be cool to have a secret power that nobody knew about.

She smiled to herself, still laughing a bit, and stared at the MistClan border where she had started. Then, the sounds of the roaring, pounding waterfall changed to a breeze ruffling the ferns, birds chirping and the misty fog that surrounded the forest was in her face. Aahh, the sweet scents of home.

She smiled as she was teleporting, and with a woosh she was back at the MistClan border, ready to hunt and impress Cloudsky.