Chapter 27

Poolpaw and Breezepaw were chatting with their mother, Blackmoon, outside of the warriors den when Duskstar's yowl sounded from on top of the Highrock.

"May all cats old enough to hunt join beneath Highrock for a StormClan meeting!" Duskstar said loud and clear.

At the StormClan leader's summoning meow, cats began emerging from their dens and trotted over to sit around the Highrock to see what was happening. Duskstar's emerald green gaze swept over the Clan.

"The biggest honor a leader can do is to turn an apprentice, or two in this case, into warriors. Tawnypaw, come forth." Tawnypaw then went to the base of the Highrock to meet Duskstar. "I, Duskstar, leader of StormClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn." She then looked at Tawnypaw, who raised her head. "Tawnypaw," Duskstar continued, "do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan even at the cost of your life?"

"I do." Tawnypaw replied. "Then by the power of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Tawnypaw, from this moment on you will be known as Tawnystripe. StarClan honors your intelligence and loyalty, and we welcome you as a full warrior of StormClan." When she was done, Duskstar then rested her muzzle on Tawnystripes head, who then licked the leader's shoulder. "Tawnystripe! Tawnystripe! Tawnystripe!" the whole Clan cheered.

After Tawnystripe stepped back it was Ebonypaw's turn to step forward. "I, Duskstar, leader of StormClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn." She then looked over at Ebonypaw as she raised her head. "Ebonypaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan even at the cost of your life?" Duskstar said. "I do." Ebonypaw replied with determination. "Then by the power of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Ebonypaw, from this moment on you will be known as Ebonypetal. StarClan honors your bravery and kindness, and we welcome you as a full warrior of StormClan." She then put her muzzle on Ebonypetal's head, who licked Duskstar's shoulder.

"Ebonypetal! Ebonypetal! Ebonypetal!" the Clan chanted Ebonypetal's new name. Ebonypetal then went to sit beside her sister. "As of tradition, Tawnystripe and Ebonypetal will sit in silent vigil all night and guard the camp while the rest of us sleep. You are all dismissed." When Duskstar was finished a few cats went to the prey pile to get something to eat before going to sleep for the night.

As cats were heading toward their dens to sleep for the night, Poolpaw saw Tawnystripe and Ebonypetal being congratulated by their mentor's, Lilyspark and Darkmist respectively.

•••

The next morning, Poolpaw was awoken by her sister gently pawing at her face. Groaning softly, Poolpaw slowly opened her eyes and stared up at her sister, wondering what was so important.

"What's wrong?" she inquired as she slowly stood to her paws with a small yawn. "Is everything alright?"

Breezepaw shuffled her paws uncomfortably. Poolpaw instantly felt concern for her sister, Breezepaw was never this nervous, so it made Poolpaw instantly feel on edge.

"Duskstar said that while Tawnystripe and Ebonypetal were on their vigil, they saw a she-cat carrying four small kits in her jaws, but when they tried to approach her, she turned tail and ran, forgetting her kits in the process."

Poolpaw blinked and stared at her sister with wide eyes. "So who's going to look after the kits?" she asked, a hint of worry in her meow.

Breezepaw sighed and flicked her tail from left to right. "Well-" she started, but was cut off when Duskstar yowled for everyone to gather at the base of the Highrock for a Clan meeting.

"Attention, StormClan!" Duskstar began, her green gaze sweeping over the Clan as she continued speaking. "Last night, a she-cat stopped here to rest, but upon being spotted by Tawnystripe and Ebonypetal, she fled, leaving her kits here in her haste."

The StormClan leader then turned her attention to the four tiny kittens sitting beside Dawnfire. "Dawnfire," Duskstar addressed the white-and-cream she-cat who looked up to face her leader. "Would you take in these four kits and raise them until they have reached the age of six moons?" Dawnfire nodded and curled her tail protectively around the four small kits.

"Of course," she meowed with a soft purr. "I will raise them alongside my sister's two kits," Dawnfire's amber eyes seemed to dim at the mention of her sister. Rosethorn had been killed by a monster on the Thunderpath while fighting a BreezeClan warrior named Fawnwish.

"Very well then," Duskstar meowed, nodding to Dawnfire before turning back to face her Clan. "Until these kits have reached the age of six moons, they shall be known as..." the black-furred leader paused and turned back to face Dawnfire. "Have you chosen names for them yet?"

Dawnfire nodded and pointed to the first kit. A beautiful white she-kit with black stripes and pine-green eyes. "This kit," she meowed while holding up the small kit carefully in her jaws, "will be called Wolfkit, I believe she will grow up to be the leader of the group someday."

"And this kit," Flowerleaf held up a small she-kit with silky dark gray fur and dark orange eyes. "This kit will be called Thunderkit, her pelt looks like the color of the sky during a thunderstorm."

"The third kit will be called Firekit in honor of her fire-colored coat." Poolpaw saw a small ginger she-kit with white paws and jade green eyes. She nodded her head in agreement, Firekit was the perfect name.

And last but not least, Dawnfire held up a sable-furred she-kit with bright yellow eyes. "And this kit shall be called Owlkit In honor of her sharp yellow eyes." Once she was finished, Dawnfire gently set Owlkit down beside her siblings.

"Wolfkit! Thunderkit! Firekit! Owlkit!" the whole Clan cheered for the four new kits, yowling their joy to Silverpelt as they did so.

"Clan meeting dismissed," Duskstar meowed.

"Wasn't that great?" Lightningpaw mewed excitedly. Her gray fur standing up on her back, her black tail fluffy. Poolpaw and Breezepaw both spun around to see Lightningpaw and Starlingpaw racing toward them.

"Hey, Starling," Breezepaw meowed, making the sable she-cat turn to face her.

"Yes?" she asked, tilting her head and blinking her yellow eyes at Breezepaw as she spoke.

"Doesn't Owlkit look a lot like you and Poppypaw?" Starlingpaw's eyes widened and realization seemed to dawn on her and she nodded her head in agreement.

"Yeah, you're right, she does look a lot like you!" Lightningpaw meowed with wide eyes. "Are you sure you two aren't related?" the dark gray she-cat inquired with a tilt of her head.

The sable she-cat laughed quietly and shook her head. "No, my only siblings are Poppypaw, Larkpaw, Reedpaw, and Shadepaw." Starlingpaw told her with a flick of her tail.

"Are you sure about that?" Mothpaw meowed, joining the conversation.

"Huh? Oh, hey Mothy!" Lightningpaw greeted the white-and-gray apprentice.

"Hey, where's your sister?"

Mothpaw shrugged. "I think she's delivering catmint to BreezeClan," she replied after a moment of hesitation.

"Hey! Look!" the three other apprentice's turned their heads to see that Breezepaw was looking at the camp entrance

"It's Mosspetal and Tawnystripe!" Poolpaw exclaimed, gasping and staring at the two older cats. "Are they mates?" she asked a few seconds later.

Breezepaw brushed her tail over her sister's mouth. "Be quiet or they might hear you!" she hissed into her ear.

Poolpaw blushed and ducked her head. "Sorry."

Breezepaw laughed and rolled her eyes. "Come on! Let's go say hi!" she cried, bounding over towards the two older she-cats.