Chapter 30

It was evening, and by now most of MistClan was settled down, sharing freshly caught prey, grooming each other and sharing the latest gossip. Wildkit and Willowkit were parked directly in front of the elders den, listening to Rainycloud, Graynose, and Glimmerwing talk about the days when they were warriors, young and strong.

"May all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath Highrock for a Clan meeting!"

Bluepaw's ears perked and she looked over to see cats emerging from their dens, many of them whispering to one another, no doubt trying to figure out what Larkstar had to say.

Bluepaw sighed softly and set down the herbs she had been sorting, and with nod to Flowingstream, the two she-cats along with Meadowlight, patted out of the medicine cat's den, joining the other warriors and apprentices near the base of the Highrock.

"Attention, MistClan! I have a very important announcement to make, so please listen up!" Larkstar yowled, his voice echoing across the MistClan camp.

Hushed whispers began rippling through the crowd of cats as they waited for the MistClan leader to speak.

"SILENCE!" the elderly tomcat yowled. "It has been brought to my attention that two of Goldenflow's kits are ready to begin their apprentice training!"

Bluepaw felt a purr rumble in the back of her throat as she glanced over at Sunsetkit and Twilightkit, who were bouncing excitedly next to Goldenflow.

"Yippie! I'm so excited!" Sunsetkit squealed, happily chasing her tail and smiling bright up at Goldenflow.

The orange-colored she-cat gave an amused purr and began to groom her two kits fur, much to the protests of Sunsetkit.

"Mama!" the ginger she-kit whined. "We don't need to be groomed! We're going to be apprentices!"

Twilightkit cuffed her sister on the ear with a low hiss. "Mama's just making sure our fur is clean and nicely groomed, so stop winning!"

Bluepaw gave an amused purr and turned back to face Larkstar, who also looked amused at the two kits interaction with their mother.

"Goldenflow," Larkstar meowed, making the orange-colored she-cat turn to face him. "Are Sunsetkit and Twilightkit ready to become apprentices?"

Goldenflow nodded her head and smiled down at her two older kits. "Yes they are," she purred, brushing her tail over their heads as she spoke.

Larkstar nodded in response. "Good, then we shall begin with the ceremony." The elderly tom meowed in a raspy voice.

"Sunsetkit and Twilightkit, please step up to Highrock!" he mewed. Sunsetkit dashed up to the top, trying to be in the front, but Twilightkit was faster than her and beat her to the top. Larkstar glanced down at the impatient Twilightkit. He smiled at her large dark purple eyes, which were widened in both nervousness and excitement.

"Twilightkit, do you promise to listen to your mentor and uphold the warrior code?"

"I do," Larkstar smiled down at the short-furred sable she-kit.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, until this kit has become a warrior, she shall be known as Twilightpaw. Shadowhunter will be your mentor. Shadowhunter, you are faithful and hard-working. I hope you will pass your skills onto Twilightpaw." The black she-cat dipped her head gratefully.

"I promise to teach this fine young cat all I know," she padded up to Highrock and tapped noses with Twilightpaw.

Larkstar then turned his attention to the sleek-furred ginger she-kit.

"Sunsetkit, do you promise to listen to your mentor and uphold the warrior code?" he repeated. Sunsetkit nodded.

"Yes, I promise," Sunsetkit meowed, her sleek ginger fur fluffed up in excitement and her green eyes shimmering with anticipation.