Chapter 20

Sunsetkit pounced on her sister's tail, her cry of triumph rang out as her sister's sable fur fluffed up. "Ok ok you win! I give in! Just get off me, you big lump of fur!"

The sable-furred she-kit jumped and tackled her sister, her purple eyes gleaming. "Ha! I got you Sun! Now I win!" Sunsetkit growled and tried to roll out from under Twilightkit's paws.

"Fine! I give in! Just get off me, you big lump of fur!" Twilightkit sighed but did as she was told. From nearby the two play-fighting kits, Redkit, Willowkit, and Spottedkit watched them from beside Goldenflow.

Bluepaw's whiskers twitched in amusement as she watched her new siblings play-fight near the entrance of the nursery. She waved her tail in greeting to her mother and three other sisters as she kept a close eye on Sunsetkit and Twilightkit.

"Hey, Bluepaw!" The blue-gray molly turned in the direction of the cat who had called out to her.

"Hey, Flowingpaw!" Bluepaw meowed in a friendly tone. "So did you get your full medicine cat name?"

The cinnamon tabby nodded her head and grinned cheekily at Bluepaw. "Yep, I'm Flowingstream now, isn't it a great name?"

Bluepaw nodded and smiled widely at her friend. "Yeah, it's an awesome name!"

"Anyway... do you wanna go hunting together or something?"

Bluepaw's eyes popped wide open and her jaw dropped in shock. Was Flowingstream really asking her to go hunting with her? Bluepaw shook out her fur and took a hold on the thoughts swirling in her head.

"Soooo... do you want to go hunting with me? Or would you like to help me gather herbs?"

"Huh? What? Oh! I uh... I, yes, yes, I would love to go hunting with you!" Bluepaw stammered, blushing and staring down at her paws.

Flowingstream smiled and the two cats patted to the shimmering pines to hunt for pray.

As the two cats patted through the sunlit clearing, Bluepaw kept having this strange feeling that something was watching her.

She stopped for a moment. Why are you so jumpy around this Flowingstream cat? the voice purred. Is it that you like her? Well she's a medicine cat apprentice, and as such she can't fall in love. But I pity you, she really is a beautiful cat. The voice finished, laughing more of a cackle.

"Oh hush! Are you trying to embarrass me? Ok ok fine! If you must know, yes, yes I do in fact like her!" She whispered in a low tone so only the mysterious voice could hear.

The voice sounded like a she-cat's, and was high-pitched, like a kit's. Bluepaw spun around.

"Who's there? Who is that?" She asked nervously. She teleported into some bushes nearby, in case of a sudden attack.

Oh, don't worry. I'm not around, or here to attack you. I can only speak to you, just in your head... unless...

Bluepaw growled.

"I'm not breaking you out. However I do that." She muttered. The voice let off one of her laughs.

Ha! Well, I don't want out yet, Miss Bluepaw, but there is another way for us to talk. She murmured softly.

We could meet... in your dreams. Tonight, perhaps. The voice let those last few words linger in the air for a moment, as if savouring the taste of them on the top of her tongue.

It was as if Bluepaw could feel soft, silky fur and a small cat's body weaving around her, vibrating with purrs. She felt comfortable, except for the fact that the cat's body was ice-cold. She felt as if she'd fallen into a trance with this shadow cat beside her. She could just stay there forever...