Chapter 50

Leafpaw's paws ached as she and Shadowspark made their way to the Moontree to meet the other medicine cats. But she didn't want to complain to her mentor because it would make her sound like a whiny kit. They've been walking for a long period of time, and she wasn't sure how far they were. After all, she'd never been to the Moontree. So far, they have passed Fourtrees, making her feel smaller compared to them. The night sky was filled with countless stars without a single cloud in sight. The full moon hung high, shining its light on them, making Shadowspark more violet and beautiful than she already was.

"Are you okay, Leafpaw?" Shadowspark mewed, stopping and turning her head to face her apprentice.

The dark-furred she-cat heaved a little, padding up to her side, "Just... just not used to walking, is all."

Well don't worry," said Shadowspark comfortingly, "We're nearly there."

Slipping through the bracken, the two she-cats found their way towards the Moontree. Leafpaw could feel her pads going numb, and she groaned at the idea of walking onto rock, but Shadowspark kept encouraging her to go on. They traveled for a short while until Leafpaw saw the large tree looming in the distance, it's massive size looking as if it was coming up from the ground to welcome them.

The Moontree shone as beautifully as ever. It's dark brown branches contrasted wonderfully with the tiny shards of pale bluish-white moonstone that hung from its branches like little pieces of starry pearls. Icy stalactites hung from the ceiling, and soft dark green grass sat still. Stunning white Moonflowers dappled the grass, their pollen casting a sweet scent across the cavern. The Moonflowers were highly prized, as their ancient petals were the cure to a deadly disease known as blackcough.

Leafpaw then realized her jaw had dropped, and she hastily picked it back up. She and Shadowspark leaped over the tiny bubbling stream that came from a small waterfall higher up the tunnel.

"Ah, I see you've finally decided to show up, Shadowspark. And good to see you as well, young Leafpaw." Mewed a light golden she-cat with bright amber eyes that shined like copper in the light of the moon.

Leafpaw blushed and ducked her head, shuffling her paws together nervously as she thanked the cat who had greeted her. "Oh, I uh, um, t-thank you, Morningdew."

Morningdew purred and gently nudged the small cat beside her. "Say hello to Leafpaw, Firepaw," the small apprentice gave Leafpaw a bright smile and a quiet "hi" in response.

"Wow! Is Leafpaw really going to get her full medicine cat name?" meowed Goldenpaw, Owlfeather's apprentice. Shadowspark nodded and smiled down at her apprentice.

"Yes, yes she is, Goldenpaw," the midnight-black she-cat meowed in a friendly tone. "Now, Leafpaw," Shadowspark began to speak, turning to face her apprentice before clearing her throat and starting again. "Are you ready to become a medicine cat?" Leafpaw nodded with a bright smile on her face.

Shadowspark smiled and began to speak, her voice sounding almost melodic in its serenity and calmness.

"I, Shadowspark, medicine cat of FeatherClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of a medicine cat, and with your help she will serve her Clan for many moons. Leafpaw, do you promise to uphold the ways of a medicine cat, to stand apart from rivalry between Clan and Clan and to protect all cats equally, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do."

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your true name as a medicine cat. Leafpaw, from this moment onward you will be known as Leaffall. StarClan honors your intelligence and compassion, and we welcome you as a full medicine cat of FeatherClan."

And with those final words, Shadowspark rested her muzzle on the newly named Leaffall's head, who then licked Shadowspark's shoulder.

"Leaffall! Leaffall! Leaffall!" the other medicine cats cheered her new name.

Leaffall's eyes gleem with pride as she turned to face her mentor with a thankful glance. "Thank you, Shadowspark. I couldn't have done all of this without all of your help."

Shadowspark purred back with a kind smile on her face as she turned to face her apprentice.

"It wasn't just me, Leaffall." The midnight-black she-cat gave an amused purr and flicked one of Leaffall's ears with her tail. "it was your quick knowledge on herbs and treatments that made me make the decision to give you your full medicine cat name tonight."

Leaffall nodded her head but said nothing. It was all the confirmation that Shadowspark needed. Her apprentice was happy and she seemed to really like her new name.

"Congratulations, Leaffall. It's nice to meet another new medicine cat apprentice."

Leaffall blinked and turned her head to see a beautiful orange tabby with dark green eyes smiling warmly at her.

"Oh, and I'm Emberpaw by the way. It's nice to finally meet you."

The dark-furred she-cat smiled and meowed a greeting to the other medicine cat, purring softly and curling her black-tipped, gold-and-brown-striped tabby tail neatly under her snow-white paws.

Leaffall had never felt so alive. The thoughts of treating her fellow warriors felt just right. When the cheering ended, the other medicine cats pressed their noses to the brown tree, and seemed to fall asleep. Leaffall caught on what she was supposed to do, laying down and pressing her nose against the rough bark.

As darkness swirled around her, Leaffall sensed that she was standing again. Slowly opening her eyes, she almost gaped from the sight. It was an empty clearing, similar to FeatherClan, but not quite. She looked around for Shadowspark or the other medicine cats, but they were gone. Looking down at her paws, she nearly saw small stars glowing around them.